The lens I want to save up for!

the only advice I have which is mostly confirmed is not to go for stock agencies - your photos sell for peanuts and you have to have a lot of images and have them sell to start to make any sort of return. Further any image sold via that method really can't be sold on again at a higher profit since its already distributed for cheaper.
From people I have spoken to they have said that its a lot of work (especailly today) to get any sort of return from micro stock

As for what sells - people tend to sell pretty well. Weddings, portrates, celebraties - most other things don't tend to sell as much, landscapes do well (if your good) though wildlife and insects hardly sells at all; if you can get into product photography that is a line and often people do product shots or portates for their employers (though do check this out as it can be a minefield with a few nasty problems that might crop up)

Honestly a lot of people start small - keep the day job, but work at weekends and in freetime with any photography work - its once you start to have to reject photography work (in what ever line) because your working the dayjob that it starts to become possible to consider switching

Most reactions

Back