the lens kit blues

binary bill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
first of all there can't be enough praised heaped on you guys who answer our questions, you know who you are. it is appreciated, enthusiast sites and forums highlight the real potential of the net. now. here's a question.

is there anywhere online i can buy a nikon D40 without the lens kit. a 17-55 i think is the standard lens you get, which is fine. but i'm really not interested unless it's f 2.8 at least. i've been all over the place. tried all the online stores i've heard of and i can't find a single deal that doesn't include the D40 as part of a set with lenses all at f 3.5. i figured my best bet would be a dedicated second hand dealer. i tried keh.com but no luck. any words of advice/directions.

p.s.
ebay is not an option

thanks

i'm in the middle east. bahrain. small island off the coast of saudi arabia. wonderful light here.

i have family in the states and the uk so ordering online isn't going to be a drama. but thing is..

17-55 suits me fine. for a first lens that's great. but f 3.5 is just too slow. i don't enjoy using flash very often. like i said, natural light here is wonderfully rich. even at night. and i'd lke to capture that. but i need a lens fast than 3.5 which seems to be the standard in any kit lens. you told me i have some choices..might they also be in speed. i would have imagined a person could design their own kit, mix and match. but i haven't been given that impression so far.

instead of buying the kit then, why dont you just buy a Nikon D40 body only... and pick your own lens

you dont have to have a lens at the time of buying the camera :)

instead of buying the kit then, why dont you just buy a Nikon D40 body only... and pick your own lens

but dear, that was my question. i have been to at least 6 different photographic dealers online and have not found one single option to purchase a D40 without the lens kit, not even second hand. it seems impossible to do so. which seems similarly impossible which is why i'm here. more than anything i'm look for directions.

i hope that made my situation clear.

So why not try Jessops in the UK for a D40x

It looks as though the D40 is only available in kit form - I'm a Canon user so don't know much about Nikons but it could be that the D40 is getting towards the end of the line and the packages are to make it more appealing as it is replaced by other cameras.

they have upgraded it from 6 to 10.1 MP thats what the X is for... not sure what else they have changed though? obviously its a little more expensive too :(

i've pretty much set my heart on a D40. it seems to be the best value for money nikon for someone who can't afford a D200 yet.

plus i've been assured that the D40X is the photographic equivalent of new coke.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED (by the noob)

thanks for your advice, you've pretty much confirmed my fears but i already knew it really. thanks again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back