The lonesome house panoramic, I need some help

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by bantor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

As my family and i were driving along we saw this old house sitting on a hill, and my step dad mentioned how he liked it, due to how random it was just sitting there all alone. So I drove back out there and took a few pictures. I intend on enlarging this to be about 2 feet 6 inches long (152cm), and like 5 inches (12.7cm) high.

So i took three shots, and put them together for this panoramic, there is a fair amount of post processing involved in this one, but nothing that changes the actual look, i just did enough to make it look as seemless as i could.

So I was wondering what you all thought about it so far, its still kind of a work in progress so here it is:

before sepia:
    [​IMG]

after sepia:
    [​IMG]

2. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great find. I love just driving around and spotting all the old, forgotten places in Alberta as I listen to Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads (Just kidding.... that is, about Woody Guthrie, even though I will admit I have his CD :blushing: )

The composition and everything is great, especially the 'leading line' in the field to the barn/house. I just which there was more 'drama' in the sky, especially to the right of the photo. Any way you can boost the contrast in the sky perhaps?

3. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

I know what you mean, i found all kinds of really cool stuff the day i went out, there are so many old places to find, specially in the praries.

I agree with about the "drama" in the sky, I really wish there was more, I would love to get another shot on a sunny, but slightly cloudy day, but stupid snow is coming soon and i also wanted there to be no snow. The day i shot that one was a overcast/rainy day.

I tried all kinds of different things, and i can't get any more contrast between the clouds and the...clouds, I was thinking that I could try to edit in some clouds, but that would take away from its originlity a bit, but i will give it a shot anyways i think

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, I was thinking that there is just about enough "rolling waves" in the clouds to the big expanse on the right of the picture to make it interesting, well, I thought so when I saw the "after sepia" version, which appeals to me more because it seems to enhance the loneliness of the house and its dilapidated state. Well, now don't ask me why I think that "dilapidated" and "sepia" go together ... it may be because sepia coloured photos give you the impression of "old" or at least "older" (?).

5. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

I don't mean to be rude at all, but I am planing on getting this bad boy enlarged tonight so I was wandering if there were any more opinions on it.

Thanks

6. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

Definately add contrast. It's too flat right now. I'd also burn the sky to try and bring out some of the cloud detail.

Regardless, have fun with it! It's a nice capture.

7. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

Alright, I have done a bit of messing around with the sky, but i am not sure if i like it.

The reason I am so intent on getting this picture so perfect is because it is to be a christmas present you see, so the help means alot.

Here is the update:
    [​IMG]

Note: there will still be cropping and resizing and what not to come.

8. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This one is better, but I think this shot would be better in color. I can post an edited version if you like?

9. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

That would be awsome

10. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a few adjustments...curves, contrast, saturation

[​IMG]

11. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

wow, that looks good, you know i have never tried playing with curves, never been to sure what they are for, but you have inspired me.

12. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Curves are your friend :mrgreen: If you're using CS2, also take the time to get familiar with shadows/highlights. Very powerful. Not just for dark pictures. I used it to help bring out the colors of the field before I did some of the other adjustments.