the long awaited moment

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by journeyman, Aug 3, 2006.

1. journeyman

journeyman TPF Noob!

Well the darkroom is finally complete and I just spent a couple hours mixing all the chemicals and finding containers to put them in.

I just rolled my beloved first roll on to a spool. (I took it back in June and refused to do anything with it until I could develop it myself.

The rolling job was atrocious but I'm hoping with every fiber it turns out okay. Wish me luck just got to wait for the chemicals to cool down.

2. journeyman

journeyman TPF Noob!

Well the negatives are drying now. I can overall say I'm pretty happy with the results. There were two marks in the film where my fingers touched and I expected that. However, a lot of the images came out over exposed to the point where the image is all black. That is a little disappointing but I'll move on. Over all I have eight working images. Not sure what the quality will be when printed but I expect good things.

I have no contrast filter in my own darkroom so I'll pretty much work with what I have. I'll post the pictures whenever I get them printed and scanned in.

They will be the first pictures I share on the site.

3. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A hearty welcome to the world of B&W, Mate!

4. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congradulations you have joined a select few who walk in the footsteps of the pioneers of this craft. The number will shrink even farther in the future, but hopefull at least a handful will keep learning how it is really done.

If you even need any help there are many here more qualified than I. I am always available to commiserate, since I have made about every mistake imaginable.

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    More and more people are falling "back" in love with the joys of developing their own film and prints all the time. You're in good company! :thumbup:

I've spent the happiest and also some of my most annoyed moments in my darkroom. Not one week ago, I came out of there after a particularly successful printing session, complete with "a-HA!" moments, and thought I had the world by the tail.

Yesterday I rediscovered an old friend: my trash can. :lol: Pathetic! Everything I did was crap.

But you can't appreciate the former without having suffered through the latter. Be prepared for both! ;)

6. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.

7. journeyman

journeyman TPF Noob!

Thank you for the reassurance and praise. All the reasons you all have stated is why I prosue photography in this way.

I printed my first picture today and was disapponited with the outcome. But at the same time happy to have a benchmark to move on from.

Here is the picture I developed:
    [​IMG]

Now the issues I want to address and fix are:
    Poor acutance
    No pop to the picture (making the blacks blacker and Whites whiter)
    Bad contrast
    Why does it look old

any advice you have on these things would help greatly.

8. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    If I may comment, tongue in cheek. you initially mention you shot the film in June. Was that June 1836 ??
    Your next post said some exposures were black. Probably a good starting point is getting the negative exposure correct. Are you using an exposure meter ?? If not, let me know, and I can explain how to a pretty good exposure outside without a meter.
    Next, what chemistry are you using for both your film and your printing and how do you calculate your time & temperature.
    You can buy filters to put in front of your enlarger lens to adjust your contrast, which will help you enormously.
    Finally, I think you have discovered a way to make images look ancient.
    Congratulations...We learn by our mistakes. Philip.

9. journeyman

journeyman TPF Noob!

I took this film back in june and kept it in the refrigerator in an airtight container until a few hours before I developed it.

I used a light meter and made some adjustments for the difference in asa and because I wanted to adjust for the dark portions of the shot. I then bracketed the shots just in case I made a mistake. (Which is proably the case) I know the rules for shooting without a light meter as well I've been shooting for years without one.

For film I use acufine (which was recomended ) I then used a kodak stop, fix, and clear. For the prints I used Dektol with the kodak stop, and fix. Times and tempetures I used the recomened one on the products.

I said before I don't have contrast filters at the moment so I'm aware of their exsistance and what benifits they provide for printing.

I'm a big believer in we learn from our mistakes that's why I posted the picture to get feedback on what I did wrong. Hopefully I can figure out what to do for next time.

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    phillip is infinitely more qualified than me but I would like to see the negative. Is there any way you can scan the negative for us. If you put it on the scanner glass and scan it with the lid open we might be able to see some of it.

What format was the negative, and what camera did you use for it.

Is your darkroom really completely dark.

If you lay the negative on a newspaper can you read the print through a large portion of it.

Okay amature sloothing done for this post.

11. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

Try lightening your print exposure by a stop, maybe 1.5 or 2. Also, try a longer wash time, as there appears to be a bit of staining. As for the scratches and dust, you'll have to bear with them, unless you want to try your hand at quite a bit of retouching. You can try to remove some dust with an air compressor, or canned air, and a very soft brush... I think camel-hair are the ones usually recommended. I've also rinsed negatives before to remove large amounts of dust, especially when it was stuck to the emulsion. If you aren't already, try hanging your negatives to dry in a tiled bathroom, with the door closed, and the exhaust fan (if there is one) on. Leave any windows closed. I generally dry mine in the shower, with the curtain closed. When they're dry, cut them in the same room, and immediately transfer them to negative sleeves.

Good luck!

12. journeyman

journeyman TPF Noob!

okay scanned the negative doesn't really show much as far as problem solving. The picture was taken on a 35mm slr. It's a Oylmpus OM-1n from the 70's.

Darkroom is completly dark I'm gonna try cleaning up the negative a lot and then printing it again we'll see what happens.