The Matanuska River

James_L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The Matanuska river in south-central Alaska.

Comments and critiques gladly accepted.

36240385.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!! This is a great photo!!! Definately postcard worthy! Could we get some technical details on this shot? Wow I really have this sudden urge to goto Alsaka now! Great work

Zach :D

James. I am trying real hard not to dislike you matey, but my fragile ego can't take much more....

(Seriously, - great shot mate. Holey heck!)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

aggiezach: f8, 1/60, 70-200mm lens, graduated nd filter to keep the snow on the mountain top from blowing out, shot is just minutes after sunrise

Geronimo: are you from Alaska too?

2Stupid2Duck: Thanks! I use the shotgun approach. When you shoot hundreds of shots... one of them is bound to turn out (usually just one).

I really like the treatment of the light here. And the composition. It's hard to believe it's Alaska, I'm very drawn into your picture.

It's a wonderful compositon. What a lovely area. A few things bother me however. The contrast is funny, a bit low, in the areas under the peak of the mountain and down, and the colors seem to be a bit over saturated, almost having that "painted" look. I think jpg compression has something to do with this also.

Digital Matt said:
It's a wonderful compositon. What a lovely area. A few things bother me however. The contrast is funny, a bit low, in the areas under the peak of the mountain and down, and the colors seem to be a bit over saturated, almost having that "painted" look. I think jpg compression has something to do with this also.
It looks to me as if the shadow/highlight tool was used to bring out the shadows way too much. That effect is pretty easy to spot. If I ever use it, I never go past 2. I'm not really digging the sharpening in this one either. If this was shot in RAW you have some great options for bringing out the areas in shadow.

But composition is excellent. It's almost something I would hang on my wall :)

James_L said:
Geronimo: are you from Alaska too?

Yeah, I live over on the East Side of the town, by ABT. I think this is the first time I have run across another alaska on a forum I regularly post on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back