The Might Kern

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
After my camera was stolen I went a while with no camera. Well I have replaced it!

My first shots are of the Kern River.

36396de90c45d46d5bbb786ec3acff61.jpg

b7bfb98f498a701ec7d39f7b0858233b.jpg

Very pretty. That's in CA, right?

I find that the leaf on the second image could use a little sharpen but I'm guessing it was caused by the slow shutter speed and the wind blowing, might want to try double exposure shot.

Other than that, very good composition, in the first image, the dirt path lead me right into the smooth water going out of the image but then the wave is blocking the eye from going out and send you right back in the image, and in the second, my eye catch that top part of the flow of water, and follow it even through the branches of the tree and down the waterfall.

I love these images, I really do ^^

The gear I had stolen was a D750 and Sigma 70-200 2.8.
I replaced it with a D750 and Tamron 70-200 2.8 and let me tell you about this tamron. Its sharp! Blows the sigma out of the water! And the VC is way better than the OS on the sigma too!

I'm not saying the lens isn't sharp, just that the shutter speed required to give the water a smooth texture also affected the leafs of the trees because of the wind ;).

To be fair, that's generally an impossible feet to deal with in this kind of situation, that's just to be expected. but these images seems appropriate to a double exposure shot-type of post processing. Just something to have in mind next time you shoot something like that. You may chose to keep it that way too, less of a pain in the rear and it is an aesthetic choice of your part.

Also, sorry to ear about your stolen gear. That really must hit where it hurt, good to see you went back on your feet.

I'm not saying the lens isn't sharp, just that the shutter speed required to give the water a smooth texture also affected the leafs of the trees because of the wind ;).

To be fair, that's generally an impossible feet to deal with in this kind of situation, that's just to be expected. but these images seems appropriate to a double exposure shot-type of post processing. Just something to have in mind next time you shoot something like that. You may chose to keep it that way too, less of a pain in the rear and it is an aesthetic choice of your part.

Also, sorry to ear about your stolen gear. That really must hit where it hurt, good to see you went back on your feet.
I knee what you meant, I was just praising the lens!

When you say double exposure do you mean averaging or an actual double exposure shot with overlapping images?

Ahhh, sorry about that. My bad.

I say double exposure, but really it's just overlapping two image on one another in your post processing software ( smooth on top, sharp on bottom ) and deleting the "smooth" leafs of the top image to reveal the sharp leafs of the bottom image, but still keep the smooth water on the final image.

Kinda tricky to achieve, but it does great shot where the leafs are sharp, and smooth, silky water if you're willing to put the time into it.

Ahhh, sorry about that. My bad.

I say double exposure, but really it's just overlapping two image on one another in your post processing software ( smooth on top, sharp on bottom ) and deleting the "smooth" leafs of the top image to reveal the sharp leafs of the bottom image, but still keep the smooth water on the final image.

Kinda tricky to achieve, but it does great shot where the leafs are sharp, and smooth, silky water if you're willing to put the time into it.
I've done that! Let me see what I can do.

After looking, it appears I was not on a tripod. Also, that shot is the only one at that focal range, all of the others are zoomed out more and I like that one beat. Oh well!

There was some leaf movement due to wind and shutter speed. Thoughts for next time! I'm still very happy with these.

Indeed, those are good shots nevertheless.

And the only way to deal with that kind of situation is to know in the field at the moment of shooting that it will happen and you know that you will want to correct it in post processing. That's why I said it was something to have in mind next time ;)

Cheers!

Most reactions

Back