the mighty holga

electricalperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how many people here use holga cameras? i really like them a lot and they seem to take a decent picture. just recently i started using them and developing black and white film by myself in the kitchen sink. i really love it :)

is there any other medium format cameras that dont cost a lot of money?

I use Holgas and I love them! Do you mean "toy" medium format cameras? I do not think that there are. Holga are the one and only :)

There are some other fun toy cameras that might shoot 120 film but I think that they use 35mm.

The Diana shoots 120.
http://microsites.lomography.com/diana/products

Actually I am looking at the Lomography website and they have all sorts of really cool cameras that shoot 120 film.

Lomography website

I have two, the original 120 model and the new 120WPC panoramic pinhole. They have their uses and are fun to use but I don't use them for everything...

- Randy

I love what they do in term of keeping people buying medium format film.

As far as mf toy cameras are concerned, holgas are by far the cheapest. The only other one I would recommend would be the 120wpc, it can create some spectacular images and it is an experience using it.

As far as mf toy cameras are concerned, holgas are by far the cheapest.

Not quite. You cold buy a shelf full of MF cameras for the $ of a Holga, a Diana could get you a shelf and a half. Check out some of the 620 stuff, plenty available in the $5 range and respooling is far less trouble than chasing light leaks in your holga. Google "hawkeye flash", Argus 75, plenty of others.

For something a little different in a "toy camera" I recommend the Foldex 20:
usfoldex20.jpg

It's a sort of "folding Holga" with a lens that is very similar to the Holga's.
It also takes both 120 and 620 film which means it can also be used to
re-spool 120 --> 620 if you so desire. They often sell on eBay for
about $10-$20.

Some people also convert them to pinhole cameras.

They cost a lot more now than they used to. You can get a better price by shopping around a bit, but generally speaking they run anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks US, depending on the model. I got my first one, the original version, for $25, just to give you a comparison on cost...

- Randy

Most reactions

Back