The Moll

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another "vintage" shot from Saturday with Kate. I really should suggest an Indiana Jones shoot because she's an archeologist! :)

This is an unusual crop for me so your views on this (and any other subject relevant to the image) are welcome.

Kate-Moll-small.jpg

I love the lighting, pose, and overall look, but... I'm not fussed on the crop. The bottom of the image running through the center of her breasts is [to me] giving the image an odd perspective and making her head look smaller than it should. I would suggest either above or below, but NOT through the breasts.

.... and the full colour version:

Kate-2033bsmall.jpg

Thanks John, I noticed that myself but I wasn't sure if it was because I'd been staring at it so long. I should have gone with my instincts.

Here's the recrop...

The Moll 2.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the original processing. The colour is nice, but it seems a bit bland in comparison.

I like the revised crop and original processing. Very nice image and really has a classic feel to it, impressive.

Thanks guys, I'll re-crop the original processed version, too. I appreciate your input, nay, I need your input.

Oh....so close. Low camera angle, downward-angled nostrils, all good. But the horizontal camera orientation has locked you out of having enough of the subject's body for crops, or rotates, or rotates and crops. Landscape orientation on a close-range subject, wearing a high-crowned hat. Not having the subject and camera frame in agreement has truly hurt this shot.

Oh....so close. Low camera angle, downward-angled nostrils, all good. But the horizontal camera orientation has locked you out of having enough of the subject's body for crops, or rotates, or rotates and crops. Landscape orientation on a close-range subject, wearing a high-crowned hat. Not having the subject and camera frame in agreement has truly hurt this shot.

Yeah, I don't normally crop to landscape portraits. Blame Peter Hurley. He had some really nice landscape head shots.

As it happens I shot this in portrait and cropped... So I'm NOT locked. I have lots more room to work with. I'll try a portrait orientation version tomorrow. :)

Oh, that's good, you have the original framing to work with, gotta keep in mind, in a horizontal close-up like this, a big, high-crowned hat like that takes up plenty of the frame, and will tend to make the eyes be placed lower in the frame than if the subject had been hat-free. I know Hurley does do a lot of horizontals, and he often cuts into the top of the head of the subject, which would keep the eyes up in the frame, but this gal's stylish hat is shown fully, so...that means the lower part of the frame had to be cropped maybe a bit more than would be ideal. in a horizontal framing.

I think this woman is a great subject for this type of vintage look, and really like the hair, makeup, and wardrobe used for this.

Last edited:
Just love this even with the comments. The pose is just coooooooool. Love the location of the front lip of the hat. The red lipstick in the first image. On and on...................
There is something about an image that when present all the small discrepancies don't distract from it. Thats the way this affects me. I don't care about crop, pupils, breasts, anything. It just looks good.

Last edited:
Just love this even with the comments. The pose is just coooooooool. Love the location of the front lip of the hat. The red lipstick in the first image. On and on...................
There is something about an image that when present all the small discrepancies don't distract from it. Thats the way this affects me. I don't care about crop, pupils, breasts, anything. It just looks good.

Thanks Rick. :icon_redface:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back