"The (monthly) Photo Challenge" cutting room floor

This was my reject for the March '08 Simplicity Challenge...

I originally took this with the challenge in mind, but somehow failed to notice the huge blue/green blob in the background.

This is the photo I submitted...

From the Simplicity Challenge thread...
From the ever wise and all knowing Wikipedia!

In photography, the technique of simplicity is used to achieve the effect of singling out an item or items from their surrounding.

Simplicity is one of the underlying photographic techniques; a cluttered picture distracts the eye and takes away from the subject. A simple picture can be achieved by getting closer to the subject, which is also one of the main rules of photography.

Link

Feel free to interpret it!

I never read that definition of simplicity in relation to photography, while it does make sense, the "simplicity" I was going for was more of a representation of simpleness as opposed to a simple picture. Maybe I misunderstood the challenge, or maybe just my "rank amateurness" was given away. I tend to believe that life was much more simple back in the day people built and lived in those cabins. A hard life, but pretty simple none the less. Either way, I got two votes this month so I'm happy. First time getting a vote at all, so I'm encouraged to keep trying.

TL: I totally get what u were going for... simplicity of lifestyle... i just threw that little blurb in there from wikipedia for reference. Personally I enjoy the wide range of interpretation... if everyone interpreted things the same that would get boring quick! And I agree that the sepia gives ur shot a more rustic feeling. This is my 2nd challenge and the 2nd time i got a vote, just 1 both times, but I'm thrilled with that! Maybe one day I'll actually win one?!?

I only took one shot for this one (thus I did not post it in here but in General Gallery)

I think I over complicated it, Simplisity in display of simplisity of photographic devices.

and then to top it off I had a DOF failure with my Digital Point and shoot resulting in OOF section at the top of the camera.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119311

hahah i didnt really have any "rejects" for last months challenge
pretty much i was out and i took a picture that i liked, then went on TPF, saw the challenge, and thought it went with it =P
here's mine, #63
Dandelion_resized.jpg

by the by, whoever voted for me i love you =D

in retrospect, this could also have been one, i took it after my submission though
WaterDropscopy.jpg

Once ALL voting is DONE it should be just fine to post your actual submitted photo......I think the Mods would be cool with that.....provided the voting is closed for that month.:thumbup:

Ya, it's alright to post a photo you submitted once the voting has ended.

Like TL already said at the beginning. Try to avoid posting something that would give away your submission. And to go one step further I'd ask that you try to post anything that didn't make the cut for a current challenge only after that challenge has concluded.

Anyway great thread TL.

Okay, I only had one album that I attempted to do. I love the blues, try to play the blues, so my submittal was...

"When a Guitar Plays the Blues"

I had hoped to do a couple others, but I just couldn't come up with any ideas that I liked better. So........

1. Here is a shot of my setup......
boat0010001.jpg

My exif info

Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Lens: 17-50mm F/2.8 G
Focal Length: 27mm
30 sec - F/16
Sensitivity: ISO 400
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: Manual
Flash Sync Mode: Rear Curtain
Flash Mode: Built-in, Commander, i-TTL-BL
Auto Flash Comp: -1.3 EV

I used a long shutter to catch my fluorescent fishing line that "lights up" under a black light, then a rear shutter sync for my flash to get the guitar, with my sb-600 as a slave with white paper as diffusers. The fishing line was tied to a chandelier above, so on my submitted photo I moved the chandelier during the long shutter.

2. Here's one of my rejects.....
DSC_00110001.jpg

3. Then my final submittal
DSC_00120001.jpg

Anyway, this is the most effort I put into one picture so needless to say I was disappointed to only get two votes, but aren't we all.

I went with what was considered the way too obvious Pink Floyd, but oh well...

My reject was an attempt at Alanis's Jagged Little Pill...

and an edited version just for fun...

the pill looks like a peep....lol. I was trying so hard to think of a way to do either "the wall" or "dark side of the moon" just because of pink floyds "artisticness"

would have loved to have been in china ;)

I did not even enter last month, I have too broad a taste in music to select a fav album, but even if I tried to improvise and go with my most reasent purchase I would have been a little hard pressed to think of something for "Bat out of Hell 3" so I just said to hell with the whole shootin match.

the pill looks like a peep....lol.

ha! :lol: In all honesty I had taken the wall photo right before the challenge was annouced for the Music assignment, so I just went with it, mostly cause I couldn't think of anything else. And the pill/peep is a Benadryl I took a butter knife to.

I would have been a little hard pressed to think of something for "Bat out of Hell 3" so I just said to hell with the whole shootin match.

Bat out of Hell is probably the first favorite album I ever had... well, I didn't actually have it, it was my dad's record, but there was no way I was comin up with somethin for that!

I'm going to ressurect this one....

Well, this was intended for the challenge for December of '08. But I framed it poorly, standing in the middle of the road I was in a bit of a hurry and trimmed their bushes as well as a crooked horizon.
Taken with Canon FD 28mm on Canon EF, ASA 800 (uncropped full frame)
570609_022_K800_12_08_2.jpg

Reshoot (below), missed the deadline

Taken with Canon FD 28mm on Canon EF, ASA 800
570609_019_K800_12_08_1.jpg

Most reactions

Back