The more I learn, the less I shoot.

ronlane said:
Hey @Derrel, isn't there a shot (pun intended) for that??

I think there **is** some kind of shot for that. As I understand it, there's also a new treatment where they take away your memory cards, and glue lens caps on all your lenses for like, three weeks in a row.

glue the lens caps on your lenses?? Well crap, I glued the to my eyelids, I guess that's why I never got better.

I've come to a point, where it's inherently evident to me that good photography=Time+ patience+knowledge+ focus+fantastic light+compelling subject.

This is where your problem lies. You seem very sure that all these components need to be in place before you can make a good photograph, but this kind of linear thinking is what is holding you back.

Take a good look around in the various galleries on TPF and you will come across more than a few examples of good photography where one or more of your listed ingredients is missing.

Of course, it might be nice once in a while to have the complete shopping list, but my feeling is you take what you can get and make the most of it.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I still carry a camera no matter where I go and still get excited about photography even after 30 years of doing so.

Of course it helps I'm single and have no kids so I have the time to invest.

OP: I understand where you're coming from. But take a step back and think about this.

In terms of fine art, nature, even client-based portrait photography, maybe that formula really matters. I'd say it sounds like perfectionism has reared its ugly head, but as the Queen of Perfectionistic Tendencies, I understand the feeling.
But you need to also realize that it really depends on WHAT you are shooting too.

It sounds like you are in a place in life where kids have to be your main focus. ENJOY that!! You won't have it forever!! You may be jealous of those who "have the time and energy to consistently produce incredible work" but perhaps they are simply in a different season of life. YOUR time and energy right now are focused on kids, and that's the way it should be. I am sometimes a bit envious of some friends who have already retired and have all day to go shoot, whenever they want to, while I'm slaving away 8-5 at a job.
Or, Kris Rowe (coastalconn) comes to mind. His work schedule allows him to go out nearly every day and do photography. I admire that, part of me "wishes" I could do that--but that is NOT where I am in life.
I've lost some dear, dear friends in the past few years--some of them way too young and too unexpectedly. Right now, a dear friend is watching her 34-year-old daughter face her final days with a cancer that NONE of us thought even 3 months ago was terminal.
One thing I've learned--or at least, I'm learning it, FAST--I don't want to waste even one day wishing I had something I don't. I want to spend every day fully participating in whatever season of life I am in at the moment, fully appreciating what I *do* have.
YOU use all your time and energy on your kids right now. One day, they won't be there and you'll have the time and energy to focus more on photography. But oh, the memories you'll have of that precious time with your kids! Raising kids right is a FAR more worthy endeavor than the finest photograph I've ever seen.

So, back to the rest of my point:
For me, there are two classes of photography. There is my "public" stuff--fine art, birds, portraiture--and yes, I have extremely high standards for that stuff. The public will only ever see the tiniest bit of it, the bit that manages to somehow slip through the ever-increasing filters of acceptability that I create as my skills improve. And frankly, sometimes, I might produce quite a few of these in a short period of time, and sometimes I might go a very LONG time without producing anything I deem worthy of sharing publicly.

But then, there's the LIFE photography--pictures of holidays, and family events. Even pictures of a walk at the park, or a short road trip with my sister. Some of those are FAR from good, using your formula of "good photography". While I strive to make them as good as possible given the circumstances, I don't dither about less than ideal lighting, or even necessarily a "compelling" subject in the way that you mean it. But you know what?
When I look back at those photos--pictures of my kids at scout trips, or out camping; pictures of their birthdays, and them just being goofy and silly--those are BY FAR my favorite pictures.

Truthfully? I'd trade in some of my best work to have more mediocre images of special moments with my kids, more pictures of my dad, more pictures of friends that I've spent time with and lost too soon.

I've come to a point, where it's inherently evident to me that good photography=Time+ patience+knowledge+ focus+fantastic light+compelling subject.

This is where your problem lies. You seem very sure that all these components need to be in place before you can make a good photograph, but this kind of linear thinking is what is holding you back.

Take a good look around in the various galleries on TPF and you will come across more than a few examples of good photography where one or more of your listed ingredients is missing.

Of course, it might be nice once in a while to have the complete shopping list, but my feeling is you take what you can get and make the most of it.

^Agreed. In my epistle above, I didn't address the formula, I just used it as a "given."

But the truth is, GOOD photography, to me, is when you can produce something worth looking at EVEN when conditions are less than ideal.

I think that for one's "serious work", it is necessary to have certain basic criteria present, like good lighting, good subject, and an idea or two. But--for the family photos, the shots at the park, I think those ought to be photographed just for the sake of remembrance, no matter how average the lighting, or even if the focus might not be perfect on every shot.

Not every shot is going to be stellar. Not every shot NEEDS to be stellar. But yeah...you've progressed to a certain point in your arc as a photographer, and now you're assessing things, and gaining new bearings, and seeing things from a new point of view, a point of view of someone who is older, wiser, more experienced, and maybe one who expects or wants something different from what used to be what you'd be happy with.

It might be likened to child development: when a child is small, and he or she writes her name for the first time, each and every scrawled, scribbly letter is like a diamond to the parent, but by fifth grade, we're expecting sentences and paragraphs and decent spelling.

"I've come to a point, where it's inherently evident to me that good photography=Time+ patience+knowledge+ focus+fantastic light+compelling subject."

Wrong ... well not the "inherently evident" part, but that you need all those elements to come together for good photography. The is nothing wrong with shooting a bunch of crap only to glean a few good images ... as there is nothing wrong in being very selective and releasing the shutter only a few times.

Both methodologies have advantages and disadvantages.

For the photographer, what is wrong is not shooting at all. But I digress.

Time: A lot of time isn't necessary, but some time definitely is required. That is all about budgeting your time. As a mother, family certainly comes first, but with a little planning you should be able to manipulate an hour here or a few hours there, a couple times a week. Not as good as the freedom many here enjoy, but on the flip side you tight schedule will make those few times for photography more precious and valuable.

Patience: Patience is a virtue (lol). With limited time, you need to work with have you've been given. The lemonade from lemons scenario. When I was working news, 90% of the time, I had no control over the environment. On the fly, I have to figure out how to add drama and interest to everything I shot. If you will adopt my time allotting scheme, between your few shoots, give a lot of thought of the drama you can eject into your images in the days leading up to the shoot. Previsualization of the final image goes a long way to increasing your keeper rate.

Knowledge: Don't have a counter for that. Yes, photographic knowledge, understanding the various technical aspects of photography, is required to consistently capture the exceptional image. The stuff you have posted does show a high level of photographic knowledge. While knowing the technical stuff certainly will help to improve one's photography, one still needs experience in implementation of that knowledge in various situations and the skill knowing what techniques to implement.

Focus: I am presuming you're not speaking to camera/lens focus ... but rather to your ability to concentrate on photography. With a busy family schedule, you need to develop the mindset like an athletic. Many superior athletics get into the zone on game day ... they mentally raise themselves to the immediate challenge at hand. This is a competitive thing you can harness. For the few times you've managed to secure some photographic time for yourself, you need to toss on your game jersey and get into the zone mentally. You have to mentally prepare yourself to shoot, to see, to be creative, to choose and implement a successful photographic strategy ... to take all the lemons and come back with lemonade. That is the challenge and your focus. Every time you have scheduled some photographic time, focus on the exceptional image ... during this time ... that is all that matters. Focus, like previsualization, will increase your keeper rate.

Fantastic Light: All light is fantastic. It is up to the photographer to see the light, to manage the light/subject to reflect the drama we seek to capture. Remember to look at the light, which is different than looking at the shadows being created and reflecting off the subject. Look at the light and work with the light. Light is Fantastic.

Compelling Subjects: Like light, all subjects are compelling. And similar to light we need to find the compelling aspects of the subjects. The more subjects you shoot in various situations, as you expand on your photographic experiences, you take what was successful with a different subject and apply to to the new situation. Experience and skill will make all subjects compelling.

Last edited:
@sscarmack and @rolane - Add me to the list of those who need to add in a few extra zeros....

@rolane, I did the same thing at the lake the other day-sort of. Got nothing, then played around until I got a cool long exposure on the way home. That said, It wasn't very gratifying because it was a fluke. *sigh* As for getting up early.....If only you knew how funny that notion was. ;-) Perhaps though, I will try it. I have in the past stayed up late in order to satisfy my artistic needs by dressing up and taking selfies, but really.....who needs 100 pictures of themselves? And who wants to stare at those 100 pictures?

@waday -Im with you! I hate taking time away from DH. He always says hell watch the kids so I can do stuff, but I feel way too guilty every time.

@Derrel - that sounds pretty dreadful....I sure hope it isn't contagious. If it is, I am blaming my infection on TPF. As for treatment, I did try some homeopathic methods. I set my camera down for almost a month. The need for an artistic outlet only intensified exponentially with no release in sight. Perhaps its time to call a professional.

@Fred Berg I DO see your point. However, that assumes that I am considering most everything on TPF an amazing shot. I am at a place where I know I can take a "good photo" but I am still underwhelmed. My inner turmoil stems from the realization that "good" has become boring. Ive got a good analogy, but its surly inappropriate for a public forum. ;-)

@sm4him Thanks for the wonderful point of view. I do try to remind myself of this, but sometimes its easy to loose focus I suppose. I know all too well how important the "little moments" are. But then I try to spend that time "in the moment" rather than behind the camera. Sure Id love pictures of my kids getting sandy at the beach- but I would prefer playing with them in the water and not worrying about keeping track of the camera. Its a balance I am finding impossibly hard to strike lately. Raising my kids is a top priority, which is why we homeschool. Why I spend hours every day in the kitchen so they can be healthy. Playdates, music lessons, laundry, reading. And then the day is over and there is a part of me that just wonders "where did 'I' go?"

PS- Remember that Family and Exceptional Photography don't mix well. If you try to do both at the same time, both will suffer. Get a smaller camera, like a mirrorless, for family time and use your big camera for photographic time.

G

"I've come to a point, where it's inherently evident to me that good photography=Time+ patience+knowledge+ focus+fantastic light+compelling subject."

Fantastic Light: All light is fantastic. It is up to the photographer to see the light, to manage the light/subject to reflect the drama we seek to capture. Remember to look at the light, which is different than looking at the shadows being created and reflecting off the subject.Look at the light and work with the light. Light is Fantastic.

I love that reminder!
As someone who shoots things like birds a lot, I do sometimes fall into the trap of thinking "meh, the light just isn't good right now." I can tend to forget that the truth is, I might just need to look harder to figure out what the light IS good for. When the light doesn't allow for the close-up of the bird in the shaded woods, it MIGHT be fantastic for a wider-angle shot of those woods with light gleaming through the trees, or for a silhouette of a bird taking off in the fading light.

@Gary A. Wise words. Ill have to read those over again. Though I may have to spend some time using "google translate" for the sports analogies. ;-)

PS- Remember that Family and Exceptional Photography don't mix well. If you try to do both at the same time, both will suffer. Get a smaller camera, like a mirrorless, for family time and use your big camera for photographic time.

G

I am lucky there, I do have a MILC but the focus is a little too slow for family stuff. Wish I could sell it, but its a backup for now!

I generally shoot a lot anyway (and yeah, i have some low standards lol). I totally see where you are coming from on "another flower". I see everything much the same way. There are different reasons to shoot though.

This morning for example, i had a half hour to kill. Took a stroll. Was the light great? no. Any new or compelling subjects? No. Did i have the best equipment? No. I took a half hour, walked around with my coffee. Stopped occasionally, set my coffee on the pavement, took my photo, started walking again. Nothing amazing, just some quiet time with my coffee and a camera. Wasn't really out for perfect conditions, wasn't really out to get a amazing shot. Just a little "me" time and a short stroll.

@sm4him Sure Id love pictures of my kids getting sandy at the beach- but I would prefer playing with them in the water and not worrying about keeping track of the camera. Its a balance I am finding impossibly hard to strike lately.

G

Yeah, it's wise to not spend so much time taking pictures of the moments that you never LIVE the moments. My brother once said--compelled by the fact that there were at six people with cellphone cameras aimed at a cupcake with a candle we were about to light--could we just put down the durn (he may have used a slightly different word) cameras and EXPERIENCE this???" It was a great reminder that too much shutter-snapping removes us from actually experiencing life!

BUT, as Gary says, get a smaller camera--a mirrorless, a bridge camera, even a pocket point-and-shoot or your cell phone--and then go ahead and snap a few of those kids getting sandy at the beach. THEN, set it in your beach bag and go get sandy WITH them!!
Not EVERY moment needs to be documented. When I seemed to advocate that, I really meant on a daily basis or event-basis sort of thing. We took trips that I have NO pictures of. There are entire months of my kids' lives where I never took a single picture, and now I wish I had even ONE photo from that time in their life. That ONE photo can help call up all the memories of the entire trip, or day at the park, or whatever.
Even if the lighting wasn't perfect, and I didn't take time to get everything just so before actuating the shutter.

What I find helps is to think of one of the classic photo class assignments, which is to sit/stand in one spot and take a few photos, all different and all reasonable photographs (whatever that means). It's an exercise that stretches creativity and most people find they are surprised with what they can create under those conditions. When I think about this I figure that if I'm free to walk around and look at a lot of things I really have no excuse and should be able to find something.

Most reactions

Back