The morning blooming...

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
or something like that.

I went out this morning to catch the sunrise over the river I live on. I didn't bring the 17-35mm lens I normally use for this kind of work...I went with my 50mm and my 70-300mm to give me some different perspectives. I missed it...but still got some nice shots, I think.

I LIKE the tele-look of shot #2. That would have sucked with a 17-35mm lens.

I really like no.1

Nice solid set, though I lean more toward #2. Well done on both.

Thanks everyone! I kind of forgot about this thread as I got going on the portraiture work from the weekend.

I'm going to challenge myself to do more work with the tele lens. After a couple days away, I'm finding myself loving the compression and options that the tele lens presents.

Thanks everyone! I kind of forgot about this thread as I got going on the portraiture work from the weekend.

I'm going to challenge myself to do more work with the tele lens. After a couple days away, I'm finding myself loving the compression and options that the tele lens presents.

For sure, a telephoto zoom (70-200,80-200,55-200,70-300,80-400, whatever one has) or a longer tele prime (85,105,135,180,200,300,400) makes for some very nice landscape photographs. Many experienced landscape shooters (like the ones that hang out at The Luminous Landscape site) really like the things a long focal length lens can do when it's used for landscape photography. I myself really like 70-200, and this summer I shot more with the 180mm f/2.8 Nikon prime than I had in the past few years, and a little bit last weekend with a 500mm mirror lens. I was VERY happy with a number of my landscape shots done with the 180mm prime lens.

For sure, a telephoto zoom (70-200,80-200,55-200,70-300,80-400, whatever one has) or a longer tele prime (85,105,135,180,200,300,400) makes for some very nice landscape photographs. Many experienced landscape shooters (like the ones that hang out at The Luminous Landscape site) really like the things a long focal length lens can do when it's used for landscape photography. I myself really like 70-200, and this summer I shot more with the 180mm f/2.8 Nikon prime than I had in the past few years, and a little bit last weekend with a 500mm mirror lens. I was VERY happy with a number of my landscape shots done with the 180mm prime lens.

One of our lovely forum mates sent me a Nikon N75 with a old "D" version Tamron 70-300mm. I used it at 300mm for this shot...I think the river I was shooting across was a mile plus wide at that point (very close to the mouth and intersection with Long Island Sound), and I needed all 300mm and some cropping to get the shot.

I really need to invest in a legit 70-200mm lens of some sort. I picked up an old Nikon 80-200mm push pull from KEH shortly after I got my D600, but I ended up returning it because I wasn't sure how much I would use it. It's time to start doing that research again.

The old-ish Nikon 80-200mm f/4 Ai-S zoom is VERY sharp at typical working f/stops, and is around $100 or less all day long...many mistakenly think the earlier f/4.5 model is better...my experience is otherwise. I bought a MINTY 80-200 f/4 Ai-S (62mm filter threads) for $79 a few years ago; I would say that at f/5.6 or f/8, its images are indistinguishable from those of a modern $2,200 zoom lens.

Wow, if you think the other lens would have done better, I'd have to see that to believe it! These are beautiful.

Wow, if you think the other lens would have done better, I'd have to see that to believe it! These are beautiful.

the 17-35? It would have been the complete wrong choice for these shots! It's just where my comfort level is as a landscape novice. Time to push myself.

Nice set! Really liking #2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back