The most beautiful child I've ever photographed.

I think that they are 'overexposed' but that the overexposure suits the subject.

There may be some areas that do end up totally white, with no detail...but if those areas blend the areas around them, then it can still work.

Where you run into trouble, is when too much of the highlights are clipped...and you end up with a hard transition from some tones to pure white.

In this shot, the brightest areas are the highest/closest parts of the child's face. But there is a gradient down to the 'shadow' areas of the face. (even though the shadow areas are still very bright).

If we examined the full size file, we may easily be able to pick out where the highlights are clipped...but I don't know if that would come out in a print or not.

We have all (most likely) seen some images where a model's face was almost completely blown out, and only the face details (nose, mouth, eyes) are visible. That is probably an artistic choice by the photographer...these could fall into the same mold.

Thanks, Mike. I guess I just needed some afirmation that my thinking is valid.

And THANK YOU Erin for this wonderful portrait.

-Pete

Why is it Pete that you had to prove your point? Its very possible that your thinking is correct, but did you really need affirmation? EJBPhoto never posted a question. She never asked if the contrast was off. She only posted the images in hopes of getting affirmation to her art.

As photographers we are held to a higher standard of learning.

We get our hands dirty and we learn from the past. We are here not only to inspire one another, but to learn and teach. Yes we can critique, but how far is too far? Did you not beat a dead horse with a stick? We all knew you thought the contrast was off. Was it necessary to continue the banter?

Art is not about the rights and wrongs of contrast.

The last time I looked, photography is about capturing moments. Photography is about capturing beauty. If an photographer chooses to use a forward thinking technique or an out-of-the-box technique . . . . or even if someone chooses to throw all their "training" out of the window and focus on the subject (god forbid) - that is their decision and you should trust them enough, as the artist, to do so.

And not to correct you or anything but you spelled affirmation with one F. :thumbup:

Why is it Pete that you had to prove your point? Its very possible that your thinking is correct, but did you really need affirmation?

Because I'm learning too, and I just wasn't "getting it." Truly. I was confused. NJMAN cleared things up for me.

EJBPhoto never posted a question. She never asked if the contrast was off. She only posted the images in hopes of getting affirmation to her art.

I realized that, and that's why I felt it was necessary to thank her. I learned something new. And I DO like her approach.

And not to correct you or anything but you spelled affirmation with one F. :thumbup:

Thanks for that. Misspelling bugs me too.

-Pete

Pete,

Thank you for clearing things up. Sometimes the Forum is so overwhelming because people misunderstand the whole reason we are here. I'm tired of snobby photographers putting in their two cents, and its always negative!! You sound like an upstanding guy! Sorry if my post came off a tad abrasive. Actually I was rude. Please forgive me.

Simplekym

Me, I'm a big fan of the high contrast look. Only complaint is that you need more photos of her than just the tight cropped face shots.

Thanks guys... yikes! It got long fast.

I tend to make my photos on the brighter side- altho looking at the final one I see clipped sections so I do believe that one is overexposed- the others are about right for me tho! In the others it appears the red channel is blown- but that is quite typical for many of us modern children's photographers- it gives them that bright stylish look that sells with parents and you see in magazines.

Also, just so you know- I was just there to photograph his (he's a boy!) new baby sister who is just a couple of days old! I stole some pictures of him while I was there- otherwise I usually get more than headshots.

Thanks for the comments folks!

Erin-Great shots! I love the eyes, wow! I went on your site...I love it! Do you use any actions?

Most reactions

Back