The most important Nikon camera question that has ever been asked...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by kilifila66, Jun 22, 2005.

1. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Well not really but it might get more people clicking. Ok I am confused, what is the REAL difference between the Nikon d70 and the Nikon d70s? I heard that with a firmware update the d70 can be upgraded to be almost exactly like the d70s, so what gives? Any help would be appreciated.

2. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

The only REAL difference is that the D70s has a 2" LCD, as opposed to a 1.8". Apparently the flash coverage is better, but c'mon, it's a built-in flash! If you're worried about flash then get a strobe. Apparently the auto focus is more accurate (nothing that can't be improved with firmware), but I don't remember hearing many people complaining about AF problems on the D70.

Oh yeah, and about $130. I guess it isn't that much money in the scheme of things, but I can't say that I'm sure the D70s is that much better than the D70.

3. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Thanks scott, that is all I needed to know. The d70 would be a better choice for me.

4. kfoster

kfoster TPF Noob!

Just one thing to add. The D70s allows the use of a corded remote trigger. The D70 uses a wireless infrared remote. Some people seem to think the use of a corded remote is a big deal, not me. The D70s can also use the wireless remote.

K

5. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

The firmware update to the D70 is "supposed" to bring the AF up to par with the D70s, just FYI.

6. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

I have a pair of really cheap pocket universal remotes that I programmed to work as remote shutter releases on my D70. IMO, a remote release is MUCH more useful, especially with self-portraits and such. I agree, a corded remote really isn't anything special, and personally, I wouldn't have much use for one.