The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Nikon Fan, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

With the amount of movies we watch each week I thought it would fun to have a movie thread where we can post a review and suggest movies :)

Coach Carter -FANTASTIC :) Just watched it and it's one of the best sports films I've seen in a while, the best since Remember the Titans! Samuel L Jackson is perfect as the coach, and the story line is captivating! Even if you don't like sports it's a wondeful movie!

Super Size Me - Not as good as the show Morgan Spurlock has called 30 days on FX. Interesting facts, but seemed to be flaws in the process...still an interesting watch.

Miss Congienality 2 - Not as good as the first, but nice for a relaxing evening. It was somewhat disappointing but seems most sequels are lately...

Garden State - I think I watched this too late at night. It was weird which I expected, but one of those flicks that I don't hate, but don't love either...

Snow Walker - (Think that's the correct title, watched it a month ago) Sucked big time...kept thinking it would get interesting but it didn't...and has the worst ending imaginable!!!

The Wooly Boys
    - With the cast I would have expected more, but it was good for a few laughs and that's about it...a bit long and drawn out IMO.

2. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Watched Madagascar a few weeks ago, that was an awesome flick. And i watched the Incredibles yesterday again, thats also a great film. I dont know, i just love computer animated movies.
    Dont think i saw any other movies lately and if i did, they weren't that good. Else i would have remembered it
    Greetz Daan

3. essjayyell

essjayyell TPF Noob!

Some of my favourites-

Dazed and Confused - Great movie set in somewhere inTexas (I think) in the 70's. The whole story takes place over one afternoon on the last day of the school year, from around 1.00pm through to the next morning. Lots of partying, fun times, excellent soundtrack...

Donnie Darko - Time travel, giant evil looking bunny rabbits.. you should just watch it.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - "An oddball journalist and his psychopathic lawyer travel to Las Vegas for a series of psychadelic escapades...."

Almost Famous - "A high-school boy is given the chance to write a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about an up-and-coming rock band as he accompanies it on their concert tour"

4. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

So we watched a preview yesterday on tv for a new movie that just hit theaters and we so want to watch it. It's called March of the Penguins. You can watch a preview here.

5. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

i tell ya, those NG guys certainly have an eye for imagery.

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I see he forgot to mention that he teared up watching the Daddy penguin walking with his baby penguin. :mrgreen: This movie looks AWESOME! I think the boys will love it, now we just have to find out where it's playing!

7. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't believe i sat through "The pacifier" last night. Oh the pain I have in my head from it. My GF made me...she likes Lauren Graham from Gilmore girls.

I also recently watched a French Sci-Fi called "Immortal" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/ ), it was an odd blend of CGI characters and live action. Very unique. I liked it for the most part. Story was kind of weak but the art direction was superior to alot of stuff I've seen lately.

8. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you elaborate on that?
    You can't really compare a 40 minute tv show to a full feature documentary.

9. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I just thought that the McDonalds situation was a bit far fetched and he didn't set enough limits to see what would really happen. For instance you would see him coming home with 2 sodas some times, and then he would also order ice cream or desserts or shakes as well...so it seemed he was eating more than they were actually showing.

A lady recently did this same thing, and she actually lost weight doing it, b/c she limited the # of calories she ate per day to 2000, but there were no limits on his experiment...I would say a vast majority of people don't eat there 3 times a day and order meals with multiple drinks and top it off with dessert...I could be wrong, but it just seemed to be a little misguided IMO.

It is hard to compare the show to the film, but it seems the show has more controls than the movie did. The minimum wage one limited where they could live, how much they could make and other things.

10. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Did you miss the beginning of the movie where he laid out the rules?

As far as the person that lost weight, it would be impossible to eat 3 meals a day from mcdonalds and stay under 2k calories. The whole point of the film was to eat nothing BUT mcdonalds for a month.

11. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I saw the beginning, but the rules weren't that strict...he didn't have a calorie limit or anything...the rules just seemed pointless. I know all he was supposed to do was eat just McDonalds, but it seemed that he was eating way to much to intentionally make himself sick. IMO I would say the majority of people just don't eat that much.

The lady that lost the weight ate there 3 times a day, but didn't drink sodas, and got smaller meals than he did, not sure how factual it is, I saw it on CNN the other day and thought it was interesting. She was probably walking more and stuff too...

12. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey we all saw that skinny big mac eatin freak in the doc...if anybody is a byproduct of mcd's it's that dude.