the Moving Wall

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
The Moving Wall, for those who aren't aware, is a mobile version of the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial located on the Mall in Washington, DC. I believe that there are several copies, which travel all over the United States.

We were fortunate enough to have one come here for the last week. I finally made it out to see it yesterday. These are some of the few pics I managed to grab. Two pics of the wall (from either end) and one of a locally produced "eternal flame" sculpture.

the_wall01.jpg

the_wall02.jpg

flame01.jpg

Neat shots JIm, especially that last one of the flame.
Were you involved in that Vietnam fracas?

No, I was graduating from boot camp on the day Saigon was evacuated. Still stirring stuff nonetheless.

Nice shots. I'm curious why you blurred the woman's face in the first one. I noticed you see other faces in the pics.

Did you crop the faces out in #2 out, if so IMO you should ether?
1)Add them back so you get men and there reflections on the wall
2)Crop, top right corner showing only names and the reflections of the faces to the flags , down to just above the feet
#1 crop out woman on the right out so you only see the young man’s back and his reflection

Both are very good

grimmett- she requested that I do so.

Jeff- not intentionally. I was just past the end of the wall. The sunshine was pretty wicked on the lcd screen. Had I moved forward a foot I could have seen what I was doing and not cut their heads off. I sorta like it the way it is in a ethereal sort of way. :)

In both cases I stood waiting for between 5 & 10 minutes waiting to get a semi-clear shot of the wall. I was glad to get what I did, though they certainly could have been better. I should have gone early in the day, but for once I slept in and missed sunrise. :oops:

Again, in both cases these are uncropped, and could certainly be improved by doing so. Usually I crop mercilessly, but for some reason this time I felt compelled not to. Can't say why. [shrug]

Thanks for the looks & comments. :D

Nice photos, Jim. Very moving additions to the forum for Veteran's Day!

I cropped #2 with my hand all the way to the flags, and let just the reflections of the people show. Try it and see what you think. It was very striking to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back