The multi-question question...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by thebeatpoet, Oct 8, 2007.

1. thebeatpoet

thebeatpoet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all,

I've been cruising around these forums for a little while now, and decided that as the big moment draws near I better ask these questions. But first, here's the deal.

I've decided to jump into a career in photojournalism with both feet, and next September I'm attending the Western Academy of Photography in Victoria. I've traveled fairly extensively and as such used my trusty Canon Elan 7N to it's limits and beyond. As I've decided to pursue a career in it (and as the school demands it), I'm upgrading to a professional digital camera and professional lenses (well, at least not kit lens). Minus tuition, living costs, supply costs, etc., etc., I have about $10,000 to spend on camera body, lenses, accessories, computer and computer photo program. Now onto the questions.

I've pretty much decided upon the Canon 5D body, but I'd like to know what you all think about it's "hardiness"? I mean, I realize that it's no Mark III, but can it take a little bit of abuse?

Realistically I can only afford one L-series lens. As I have to cover the equivalent of 28-200, which lenses would you recommend? This is really my most pressing question as I don't have that much experience with different lenses.

And my last question: Do you know if there is a major price difference between retailers in the US and Canada? Or are both fairly equal in their pricing?

Thank you all so much.

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First of all it is smaller and also a bit lighter if i remember correctly.

And yes, it can take some abuse ... tested this already since I am an outdoor photographer and my gear stay with me in tents overnight for weeks. it is not perfectly weather sealed, but you can use it in light rain ... of course at some poit you should use some cover. It has no soft rubber ring at the lens mount wich would fit most L lenses rubber and hence improve sealing.

But I personally only got serious dirt into the body when changing lenses. Most dirt on my sensor for the first 3-4000 shutter releases apparently was not dust, but was some residue of whatever on the shutter, or maybe even shutter abrasion. Hence in the beginning my camera did need sensor cleaning every week, but now it is less than once a month.

Hmm, get a 17-40 f/4 L with its wide angle good for indoors and groups, very decent image quality and one of the cheapest and best value for money L-lenses. Complement this with a 100-400 f/4 L .

just my thoughts, of course it depends a bit on your shooting habits.

oh, would add a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 in case you need to shoot in really low light.

3. DHammer

DHammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First I would suggest a 40d, this has better weatherproofing (although no mark III either) although the full frame is nice on the 5d I was at the Giant's game shooting this past sunday and several guys were all talking about how much time their 5d's have spent in the shop. Disclaimer though this is the first I have ever heard anyone complain of it. By the way 95% of canons on the field this week were 40d's or Mark III's up from about 60% last week.

Lens wise a 40d may allow you to buy an extra lens, I would seriously consider a 70-200mm 2.8L IS (drop the IS if you need to save the $550).

Price wise can't help you there.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    With all due respect, I would find the $500 and keep the IS, even if that means working a couple weekends at a retail shop at Christmas time or delivering some pizza or whatever. PJ means taking pictures in dark places, quickly and (often) handheld.

Just my 2 cents worth.

5. thebeatpoet

thebeatpoet TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the tips, I hadn't even realized that Canon had released a 40D. It looks pretty spectacular. Especially the option you have of controlling it (to a certain degree) from a computer. Plus as I'm buying all new lenses the cropped frame wont really bother me, and the money I save will allow me much more freedom with lens choice.

Although I do wish I could afford a 1DS Mark II with that crazy 16 megapixel count. :hail:

Once again though, thanks!

6. Keagle

Keagle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How about the 1Ds Mark III? 21MP.

7. thebeatpoet

thebeatpoet TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Holy sweet Moses.... it's been quite a few months since I looked at what Canon has put out. I didn't know that the Mark III came in Ds. That's nuts. I wonder how large the average file size is with 21MP?

8. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    More importantly, why in the world would anybody want/need 21MP in a photojournalism camera?

I can think of no practical reason whatever.

Portraits you are going to blow up to the 30x40? Yes. Newspaper or magazine pictures? No.

9. LeftBehind

LeftBehind TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is it acceptable in photojournalism to use a Leica M8, although I have never personally used one, if i had the money, I would certainly purchase one.

10. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

First of all congratulations on your decision to embark on a wonderful career. But I really cant stress the importance enough of buying 2.8 or better lenses. If you plan to go full bore into photojournalisim anything less than a 2.8 lens will be a serious disadvantage. Personally I had to give up a couple of freelance newspaper jobs that i had because I did not have any fast lenses and decided to invest in medium format wedding gear. I know some people on here will tell you "just get the 28-200 and don't worry about it" DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!. You need fast lenses you also need a fast and high res bodyso if yo have a limited budget go for quality rather that quantity. You can start out with the 5D but if you can afford the 1Ds mk. III or whatever (Nikon person here) get it and start out with a 70-200 2.8. You wil find out that this will probably be your workhorse. Now I do not want to dictate your personal style but you need to hear what you need. If you doubt what I say try to find some press photographers websites and see wht they use.