The Mythical Batu Caves Limestone Hindu Temple - Mesmerized by the temple's goddesses

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was my fourth trip to Batu Caves and also the fourth time I climbed up 272 inclined steps to the inner cave. During my latest trip, I decided to spend some quality time to check out two Hindu temples on the outer part of the cave. I'm a nonbeliever and practically a humanist. But, I was mesmerized by those Hindu Goddess statues in the temple. The statues look surreal and alive!!!

About Batu Caves:
The cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, dedicated to Lord Murugan. It is the focal point of Hindu festival of Thaipusam in Malaysia which attracts over 1.5 million pilgrims yearly, making it one of the largest annual gatherings anywhere in the world.

YouTube Video - Thaipusam Celebration in Batu Caves:
Here is one excellent three part documentary about Thaipusam celebration in Batu Caves. Video courtesy of HinduismTodayVideo

Here are some photos from my trip:

Picture 1 - Indian Hand Gesture

TEMPLE10_0126.jpg

I think this is the Pataka hand gesture (Mudra). Pataka means “Flag”.
Pataka is done with all fingers held straight like the Stop sign.

Picture 2 - The Divine Hands

TEMPLE12_0128.jpg

Her right hand was holding some grapes. Not sure about that object on her left hand.

Picture 3 - The Beautiful Deity

TEMPLE16_0131.jpg

A statue complete with head gear and nose ring. The facial colouration
and toning look believable.

Picture 4 - The Intense Stare

TEMPLE14_0136.jpg

I can only think of two words to describe this statue....DEEP THINKER

Cheers!
mylo

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Really interesting. Her eyes actually look real... nice series, thanks for shraing.

Wow! Really interesting. Her eyes actually look real... nice series, thanks for shraing.

Thank you for looking!!

Yep, those Hindu statues look surreal.

Most reactions

Back