The New AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

I've been waiting for this lens ever since I used the older 400 f4. Although, now that it's released, I don't think I'm too excited for it. It looks pretty sweet and all, but maybe a little too pricey.

I keep saying it but it's like nobody's listening.

This lens is CRAZILY SMALL. Which is surely why it's expensive. It's an EXTREME telephoto design, cramming 300mm of focal length into a physical package less than half that length. It probably has elements made out of crystallized blood of archangels in it.

I keep saying it but it's like nobody's listening.

This lens is CRAZILY SMALL. Which is surely why it's expensive. It's an EXTREME telephoto design, cramming 300mm of focal length into a physical package less than half that length. It probably has elements made out of crystallized blood of archangels in it.

We are listening...

See this link:
Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Announcement

You will see this, the new (left) and the old (right) 300 f/4 side by side (same scale):

Nikkor-300mm-f4D-IF-ED-vs-Nikkor-300mm-f4E-VR.jpg

Source: Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Announcement

And the glass inside, the new (left) and the old (right) 300 f/4 side by side (not to scale):

Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-300mm-f4E-PF-ED-VR-Lens-Construction-300x255.jpg
AF-S-NIKKOR-300mm-f4D-IF-ED-Construction-300x255.jpg

Source: Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Announcement

New lens: 16 lens elements in 10 groups
Old lens: 10 elements in 6 groups

Not to mention that the new lens "has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism, which allows for precise control of aperture for consistent exposures when shooting fast action in high-speed bursts".

Nikon is doing a HUGE improvement in lens design here. A revolutionary move, at a high expensive cost.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm too excited for it. It looks pretty sweet and all, but maybe a little too pricey.

How is it too expensive? Is it because your comparing it to the price of the 15 year old model that was out before it?

If memory servers me.. the price of the older 300mm f/4 was $1300 when it was released in 2000.

Using generic CPI inflation calculators: $1300 in 2000 is $1782 in 2014. So technically, your paying $217 more for a smaller, lighter and faster lens.

7 years ago you could walk into a Porsche dealer and get a brand new Cayman S for ~$55k.. Todays Cayman S will cost you ~$68k..

IMHO... $1999 is a good price for this lens and i don't have a problem paying it (*if it lives up to its hype*)

expensive is relative.

$2000 is just half a days pay for me. I can swing that.

I'm sure it is a good lens. What it comes down to is the "bang for your buck" factor for most photographer. If it is a focal length that you use a lot or if you really need something in that small a package, then it is perfect. I just don't think that will be the case for that many photographers. I think many wildlife and sports guys are used to lugging around beastly lenses.

I don't think I'm too excited for it. It looks pretty sweet and all, but maybe a little too pricey.

How is it too expensive? Is it because your comparing it to the price of the 15 year old model that was out before it?

If memory servers me.. the price of the older 300mm f/4 was $1300 when it was released in 2000.

Using generic CPI inflation calculators: $1300 in 2000 is $1782 in 2014. So technically, your paying $217 more for a smaller, lighter and faster lens.

7 years ago you could walk into a Porsche dealer and get a brand new Cayman S for ~$55k.. Todays Cayman S will cost you ~$68k..

IMHO... $1999 is a good price for this lens and i don't have a problem paying it (*if it lives up to its hype*)

I definitely don't disagree with you. I know it is worth the money while being super convenient, small/light and having VR. I guess I should have said i wish it was less money hehe

I keep looking at the picture of it compared to the older version...it makes me want it a little more now :)

on pixel peer, the 300mm f/4 is the most "popular" Nikon and Canon prime telephoto lens over 85mm.

the MTF suggests that lens is HELLAsharp at f/4 throughout the entire frame. It's going to be quite a popular prime telephoto for years to come.

I love my 300/4
a bit of a tank, but hey, it gets the job done.
This new lens looks nice due to it's size and weight. BUt the price is prohibitive for me.

A very promising and tempting lens...
I'm interested and hoping for a better price on refurbished and used options, in the future.
Me too Wonder how it will perform with the 1.4 teleconverter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back