The new era ?!

I liked the horse-car illustration.

Car is the primary mode of transportation now. That of course does not mean horsies are extinct!

yeah, the horse car analogy is very fitting to this.
that doesn't mean cars have brought us to a better state of being :wink:

i keep seeing this commercial on tv for a kid's marker set. i think it's called the ROC writer. somewhere in there, the infomercial zombie says "you'll be able to create great art in no time!". and i think "yes, how wonderful that art production by children will be increased, i can't wait to see the new rates at which the inventories are filled..."

i like soulreaver's comment about craftsmanship

Just like other technologies digital will no doubt push film into a niche market so that it will be more and more inconvenient. What few custom labs there are now will become even fewer or perhaps cut back on the film processing side. One hour photo labs will start to fade away. Manufacturers will begin to scale back their film offerings, before which shops will begin scaling back the selection they carry so you may have to go all the way across town to get a few rolls of, say TMax 3200. Then you will have to order it online. Then Kodak will decide there's no longer sufficient market. These things won't happen soon, but they could happen eventually.

Rainman said:
Manufacturers will begin to scale back their film offerings, before which shops will begin scaling back the selection they carry so you may have to go all the way across town to get a few rolls of, say TMax 3200. Then you will have to order it online.

It's already like that around here. Only one shop in town carries TMax 100 and 400. Anything else has to be ordered online. We don't even have a camera store here. I'm in a small town, but not tiny. We have a university here, so it's not extremely small.

StvShoop said:

i keep seeing this commercial on tv for a kid's marker set. i think it's called the ROC writer. somewhere in there, the infomercial zombie says "you'll be able to create great art in no time!". and i think "yes, how wonderful that art production by children will be increased, i can't wait to see the new rates at which the inventories are filled..."

True; driving a Ferrari does not make you a better driver. :)

But I thought we were talking about the medium to acheive your need. Instead of taking weeks to go from New York to California by horses, with the help of an automobile now it is possible within few or days.

danalec99 said:
But I thought we were talking about the medium to acheive your need. Instead of taking weeks to go from New York to California by horses, with the help of an automobile now it is possible within few or days.

that's a good point man. the functionalist perspective is a powerful one.
with the advances in technology, one can experience many distant places in rapid succession, and one can experience many... (what is a photo?) ...visual instances in rapid succession and then have all those images left-over for keeps (stock the inventory!)

i want the meaning of these new abilities to be questioned. so what if you can pick up the new york times in nyc, read it on the plane, and then go to a cafe in calif? Time is the difference in the experience, compared to stage coach days. so what if you can have a thousand photos taken, developed, ready, in the time it would take to make a few dozen with chemical stuff? is that time enough to look at all of them, experience all of them?
It is a constant barb in my side, the worry that functionalist perspectives breed individuals who behave like the machines they admire.
not saying that's any of you, i don't know you that well :roll:

StvShoop said:
danalec99 said:

that's a good point man. the functionalist perspective is a powerful one.
with the advances in technology, one can experience many distant places in rapid succession, and one can experience many... (what is a photo?) ...visual instances in rapid succession and then have all those images left-over for keeps (stock the inventory!)

i want the meaning of these new abilities to be questioned. so what if you can pick up the new york times in nyc, read it on the plane, and then go to a cafe in calif? Time is the difference in the experience, compared to stage coach days. so what if you can have a thousand photos taken, developed, ready, in the time it would take to make a few dozen with chemical stuff? is that time enough to look at all of them, experience all of them?
It is a constant barb in my side, the worry that functionalist perspectives breed individuals who behave like the machines they admire.
not saying that's any of you, i don't know you that well :roll:

Thank bro :). This is thread is not about me. I was just initiating a dialogue on the the upcoming medium.

so what if you can have a thousand photos taken, developed, ready, in the time it would take to make a few dozen with chemical stuff? is that time enough to look at all of them, experience all of them?

Digital photography is in its infancy at the moment. But down the lane, if it renders the same 'bandwidth' as of film, I do not see why the mass should not be digital followers. Arabian horses are still around, Classic cars are still around, but that does not mean I would take a classic car for a round-the-world-tour. Not because I do not like a Classics. I need to go from point A to B with a decent/reliable/convenient/hazzle-free product that technology offers me. Its the aspect of utility that I'm talking about.

danalec99 said:
StvShoop said:

True; driving a Ferrari does not make you a better driver. :)

Of course with digital we can do faster and more efficiently than with film, though not as good quality wise in my opinion ,just as with a plane you can go faster than with a horse.
But sometimes it isn't the destination that counts the most, it's the trip.
Taking a pic just so, and then bring it to the paper is a reward in itself for me.I cant wait till I learn things like split toning and others way to enhance the result, and do it all by myself.

With all that in mind I can't wait until 3D cameras come out. I will most likely we well past dead when they do but someday someone will be able to scan a 4000mp 3d image. Then you could download that image of say the Grand canon and play it back in your VR set top box at home, it would be like you where there now you just need a sent generator and a fan so they will never have to leave home. Just one more step to a D cell battery MATRIX here we come.....

batteryd9000w4.jpg

LOL OK OK I know I just took a loooong leap with that one.... :smileys:

All them pixels make me dizzy. Film ain't going anywhere. Quality processing however is another story.................

Digital cameras have been out selling film for a couple of years now. I'm sure film will be around for a long time to come but digital is already starting to dominate. I guess I'll have to break down and get one some day soon.

Just read nikon will stop doing P&S film cameras within a year or so :(
They'll continue doing SLRs , but their bets are on digital.
But the King isn't dead yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back