The new era ?!

Soulreaver said:
But the King isn't dead yet.

Did you mean to say that an 'inferior being' is going to replace the 'King'?
Or just that the King is not yet dead?

danalec99 said:
Soulreaver said:

Lol, no need to take offense.
I just meant that film is still strong in photography, and will be for many years to come.

Soulreaver said:
But sometimes it isn't the destination that counts the most, it's the trip.
Taking a pic just so, and then bring it to the paper is a reward in itself for me.I cant wait till I learn things like split toning and others way to enhance the result, and do it all by myself.

My sentiments exactly :sillysmi:

Digital has its place , its convenient , fast etc etc. I'm not saying I'll NEVER get one.
The love-affair with film is hard to beat , however ...
IMO , its akin to being hungry and either picking up McDonalds at a drive-thru or going home and spending time making a delicious , satisfying roast dinner....
Both meals will achieve the same end result ( hunger sated ) but I know which one I'D savour the most ..... ;)

Sometimes I wanna get on a gigantic megaphone and tell everyone
"Slowwwwwwwwwww downnnnnn people !!!
Whats ya HURRY ! ?
Savour the ride a little ! "

:p ;)

Soulreaver said:
danalec99 said:
Soulreaver said:

Lol, no need to take offense.
I just meant that film is still strong in photography, and will be for many years to come.

No offense taken :D I just wanted to know what you meant by it.

Just gathering t he views; thats all! :)

Long live whatever makes everyone happy and satisfy their needs :)

Luminosity said:
Soulreaver said:
But sometimes it isn't the destination that counts the most, it's the trip.
Taking a pic just so, and then bring it to the paper is a reward in itself for me.I cant wait till I learn things like split toning and others way to enhance the result, and do it all by myself.

My sentiments exactly :sillysmi:

Digital has its place , its convenient , fast etc etc. I'm not saying I'll NEVER get one.
The love-affair with film is hard to beat , however ...
IMO , its akin to being hungry and either picking up McDonalds at a drive-thru or going home and spending time making a delicious , satisfying roast dinner....
Both meals will achieve the same end result ( hunger sated ) but I know which one I'D savour the most ..... ;)

Sometimes I wanna get on a gigantic megaphone and tell everyone
"Slowwwwwwwwwww downnnnnn people !!!
Whats ya HURRY ! ?
Savour the ride a little ! "

:p ;)

I think each era has its medium of savoring the 'ride'.

When our kids grow, I'm sure there will be 'oldies' recollecting the good ole' days of Photoshop :)

ksmattfish said:
Film isn't dead yet, and digital has a ways to go before it's the undisputed "king". Check out what Arizona Highways (a mag noted for it's high quality photography) has to say about it...

http://www.arizonahighways.com/page.cfm?name=Photo_Talk803

One thing about that article that I really don't understand:

One last thought on the film vs. digital debate: If you’re planning to switch to a digital camera soon, don’t give up on film just yet. Remember always to back up your digital photographs on film. Even if you have already made the move to digital, consider that today’s best cameras record digital files at a little more than 11 megapixels. But what if, in the near future, the standard moves up to 20 megapixels or higher? If you have backup on film, you can scan your images at a higher resolution. But will your old 11-megapixel files be convertible? We don’t know for sure.

It's probably just my ignorance but that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Back up your digital pics on to film so that you can increase the resolution later? :?

Surely if I take pics at 2 megapixels today then it stays at two megapixels regardless of what future standard cameras expand to, and remains perfectly accessible to image editing software. Also the idea of taking a 2 megapixel photo, printing it off, then increasing the resolution by scanning it sounds barmy. Surely you'll lose clarity? :?

Ant said:
ksmattfish said:
Film isn't dead yet, and digital has a ways to go before it's the undisputed "king". Check out what Arizona Highways (a mag noted for it's high quality photography) has to say about it...

http://www.arizonahighways.com/page.cfm?name=Photo_Talk803

One thing about that article that I really don't understand:

One last thought on the film vs. digital debate: If you’re planning to switch to a digital camera soon, don’t give up on film just yet. Remember always to back up your digital photographs on film. Even if you have already made the move to digital, consider that today’s best cameras record digital files at a little more than 11 megapixels. But what if, in the near future, the standard moves up to 20 megapixels or higher? If you have backup on film, you can scan your images at a higher resolution. But will your old 11-megapixel files be convertible? We don’t know for sure.

It's probably just my ignorance but that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Back up your digital pics on to film so that you can increase the resolution later? :?

Surely if I take pics at 2 megapixels today then it stays at two megapixels regardless of what future standard cameras expand to, and remains perfectly accessible to image editing software. Also the idea of taking a 2 megapixel photo, printing it off, then increasing the resolution by scanning it sounds barmy. Surely you'll lose clarity? :?
You're right. I get AZ highways and love the photos but I don't think they know digital technology very well. Backing up a digital photo to film will not magically record data that wasn't there to begin with.

They don't mean record your digital images on film, they are recommending using both kinds of camera to cover all the bases. Take the shot with both digital and film (of course, why couldn't you just scan the film, so we're back to square one). They are saying that if you have a digital capture of a particular resolution, that's as good as it can ever be, and if the industry demands a higher resolution in the future, then you are stuck. While film could be scanned at a higher resolution (up to a point obviously).

Also, to be fair, I don't know that Arizona Highways is accepting a lot of 35mm film work. They are mostly comparing digital to medium and large format film, which can make some pretty hellacious scans these days. As a film geek it's just nice to see that someone still cares... :cry:

Oh that makes more sense... Thanks for clearing that up ksmattfish.

I think AZ Highways only accepts 4x5 and larger format transparencies to publish in the magazine.

voodoocat said:
I think AZ Highways only accepts 4x5 and larger format transparencies to publish in the magazine.

In which case the photographer would be using a view camera, and only have to switch backs to shoot film and digital (and the same would work with many MF cameras also).

Ok let me go back to the car analogy for a min. How far did the car get in as many years as digital cameras have been around? Now think about how far the car has gone from then. I know most of you are die hard film fans but in the schema of it all digital is still a baby in this world and has a long way to go. I do agree that film will have a place for many years to come and digital has a long rocky road to travel to be able to play with film. I would like to see a camera that is both a 35mm and a digital camera, then you would get the best of both worlds, a high quality film print and a quick and ease digital copy. Now that would be cool.

Ok let the beating began.....

Most reactions

Back