The new era ?!

danalec99 said:
Do all the film geeks here develop the film on your own or let the studio do the work?

I develop all of my BW myself, and that's about 99% of my photography. I take C41 and E6 to the lab. They can do just as good a job as I can for much cheaper. With traditional BW film there are development controls that can be adjusted to achieve different results. With C41 and E6 the industry has moved towards a uniform standard of developing, and with the exception of increasing dev time (push), most labs don't have the equipment to process the film any differently than the standard process.

StvShoop said:
markc said:
Filmstock for motion pictures is another important business for Kodak, and that's drying up as digital theaters are starting to spread.

i believe almost all theaters still use film. i think there's some kind of combined digital sound technology that goes with the film video, but there's issues about moving to digital video. the main one is that theaters would have to junk all their old equipment and buy all new stuff, that's a huge price to pay for what will probably be a barely noticable increase in picture quality.
the movie companies are trying to get theaters to buy the digital equipment. many computer gamers are used to 50-120fps, but for movies, 30fps still looks "real" enough.
Yeah, I guess "drying up" made it sound more drastic than I really meant. "Slowly evaporating" might have been better. I do believe that they will be mostly digital down the road, though, and it is a current concern for Kodak looking ahead.

Most reactions

Back