The new guy intro/equipment inquiry

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there, been looking at this place for a minute so i decided to join..i want to take my pics to the next level so i need some advice on equipment. I am working with a Nikon F75 and would like to have some advice on scanners,filters,light and such.

Whenever i go to these photo shops, i often got the feeling that dudes are out to rob me. IMO, nobody can tell whats best to use than those who really use the stuff. I want to shoot people primarily so what upgrade would you recommend? I wanted to get me some filters, a polarization filter first because having strong colors is one thing i couldn´t get together yet.

However, i am open for any advice..

Hi :, )

Consider using the Cokin filters, they make a very good polarizer :thumbup:

What lenses are you using?

Having the right lens can make all the difference.

I got that standard lens that came with the camera..see sig below..

I would suggest a 50mm F1.8

It will be quite cheap but much better optically than your kit lens. Also, the maximum aperture of F1.8 will be a delight because of the shallow DOF and the faster shutter speeds that you will be able to use.

Can't speak from experience when it comes to Nikon, but in general I'd have to agree with everyone that primes are the way to go - especially a good 50mm. I started off with zoom lenses, but now use primes nearly all the time. In terms of filters, I'd recommend starting off with a standard skylight, a circular polarizer, and an 81a warming filter. IMHO you don't really need a huge range of filters.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, i just noticed that there is also a manual version of the 50mm F1.8. Wich one do you recommend?

i know that you sed no digi SLR but if you can do it go digital or get a film scaner. i use a DSLR and love it but i have herd good things about the nikon film scaners

danalec99 said:
I'd second that!
Third here. Er.. I guess sixth.

For lighting, you can do a lot with available light and a few cheap props. Foam core makes a great reflector. If you want to make a big piece moveable, slice it in half an put tape along the cut only on one side. A translucent white shower curtain also makes a decent reflector and a good diffuser.

For portraits, I don't use any filters at all. On the street, a polarizer can help with reflections. If good color is your goal, experimenting with film choice is probably your best bet.

markc said:
If good color is your goal, experimenting with film choice is probably your best bet.

What EXACTLY does experimenting with film choice do you mean? I have no idea what direction to look at on this one.

Still, can someone say wich lens i should look at? There´s a manual and autofocus lens 50mm F1.8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back