The New K?D, What will it be Like?

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just want to start a dialogue to get your impressions of what a K?D might be like when it comes out. This would be an up scale DSLR and not an entree level camera. It will happen. This we know. But I would love to see who comes closest to the reality when it does happen.:)

I'm thinking something along the lines of a D2X.

I am thinking/hoping a full frame sensor (maybe similar to the EOS 5D in terms of pricing).

I expect it to be 48 X 36 and in around 20 mpxls maybe a little smaller. Backwards compatible on the lenses. 1.5 to 2 fps. Dedicated back unlike the Mamiya. Iso 50 to 600, maybe 800 (1600 would be better) and a wireless flash commander built in.

Am I close? Or are you talking about their new 35mm format DSLR? :)

mike

Full frame is almost certainly expecting too much. If I remember correctly your previous comments suggested a crop factor around 1.3x, like the Canon MkIIn? If so that would be pretty good for those of us wanting to go a bit wider with the glass we already have. I assume it would mean a whole new line of lenses though, considering the current DA ones are designed for the smaller sensor?

I'd be very interested to know who makes the sensor - presumably not Sony this time; could it be Kodak (based on their cooperation on the 645D)?

In terms of FPS I don't seriously expect to see much of an increase past 3fps, since with their film cameras (and dSLRs so far) they never really went for that part of the market. But it would be a pleasant surprise if we got more FPS, and would make sense now that they've finally got ultrasonic focus sorted.

I think, or at least hope, that Sw1tchFX is right about it being like a D2X at least in terms of build quality. The 'entry level' models to me feel more solid than some of the competition and the K10D is very well made and of course has the weather sealing. Pentax make 'pro' models very rarely, but when they do they do it well, so I woudn't expect to be disappointed in that area.

Only speculating of course. I have no idea, but I can't wait to find out :D

I expect it to be 48 X 36 and in around 20 mpxls maybe a little smaller. Backwards compatible on the lenses. 1.5 to 2 fps. Dedicated back unlike the Mamiya. Iso 50 to 600, maybe 800 (1600 would be better) and a wireless flash commander built in.

Am I close? Or are you talking about their new 35mm format DSLR? :)

mike

I was referring to the 35mm format DSLR camera. The Medium format will be 31.6 mega pixels and the sensor looks to be the KODAK. I doubt if you'll see 1600 iso.

Most reactions

Back