The new Nikon 200-500 f5.6

The good thing about having a business is that I can get whatever lenses I want for the business. The bad thing about having a business is making that business distinction between business needs and personal wants. LOL
Always the rub I suppose, lol. I really enjoy photography as a hobby, but as a hobbiest I have to consider what's reasonable for my budget. I also have to consider the cost vrs benefit ratio when I'm looking at spending that kind of money.

But I am always happy to see new gear, even the stuff that isn't cost effective for me, hit the market. Helps with the prices on the stuff I can afford.

Just pointing out the difference in the decision making process :D

It's different when it's a hobby, because you're not getting back the money you put in. For a business, it's a business investment in tools, and we will mostly make it back within a certain amount of time.
Oh yes, absolutely. Investing in equipment that will earn income is a much different equation, no doubt.

But for me a lenses doesn't generate income, it's solely for personal enjoyment. So I have to do the math based on that reality.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How many times are they going to release this lens?!

I'm wondering if this would be a good lens for Surfing events that they hold in Hawaii North Shore on Oahu.

Vtec44 said:

I'm waiting for the 200-510mm to come out with all the bugs fixed :D

I see what you did there! But, really, why wait for the 200-510, when it's said that if you buy a 200-500, and if it gets dirty after use twice,meaning if you have to clean it twice, you can send it in and get a FREE upgrade to the new 200-510mm lens! SO..buy a used 200-500 ASAP!

Vtec44 said:

I'm waiting for the 200-510mm to come out with all the bugs fixed :D

I see what you did there! But, really, why wait for the 200-510, when it's said that if you buy a 200-500, and if it gets dirty after use twice,meaning if you have to clean it twice, you can send it in and get a FREE upgrade to the new 200-510mm lens! SO..buy a used 200-500 ASAP!

I'll wait for the "S" version.

According to the lens review online, and more specifically the translated version, a great attribute of the lens is
, it is a fairy tale from the nut of the Queen Mab,

Google Translate

you can't make this stuff up ... :)

runnah said:

As many times as it takes to get the job done!

I would rather see an affordable 600mm prime lens with as much sharpness as possible, competing in the price range of the 150-600 lenses... or a more limited zoom lens focusing on the longer end toward 500-800mm or something like that.

When it comes to some landscape photography and some other things, having 150-400 is nice, but I'm almost always set between 500-600mm when I want my 150-600.

I would rather see an affordable 600mm prime lens with as much sharpness as possible, competing in the price range of the 150-600 lenses... .

Who wouldn't want to see that?

Apparently theres still no useful review of the 200-500mm out there. Drat.

About price, looking at real monsters like the new AF-S 400mm f2.8 VR2, I'm pretty amazed how dirt cheap the AF-S 300mm f4 PF and AF-S 200-500mm f5.6 are.

Personally I would rather want something like an AF-S 400mm f4 PF instead. Ideally with a builtin 1.4x converter, but thats unlikely.

I've seen some sample images on Fred Miranda that look really good

The flickr pages of photo from this lens look great. It seems it's either more consistent than the opposition (sigma/tamron 150-600) or the users of the nikon are more picky about the shots posted

That into the sun image - wow!

Yes, the 300 PF-E can flare oddly when certain bright light sources hit the front element in certain ways...same with hundreds of lens designs.
But this lens is a **revolutionary** design. Nikon 300mm f 4 PF VR Review

And look at how well it performs, even including a sunset shot aimed right at the setting sun, unobscured by clouds. it also focuses exceptionally close for a 300mm lens, 1.4 meters, and gives maximum magnification of 0.24x.Nikon 300mm f 4E PF ED VR Image Samples

Not sure about people whining about the price. Nikon's best lenses are costly, but then, they only last for 35 to 50 years...and people are now regularly shooting these lenses on $3,200 Nikon bodies, sometimes even a pair of such bodies.

Look at the Photography Life web samples, and see what amazing images this lens can make in social photography/people photography situations. Again...until a person has actually picked this lens up and handled it, it is impossible to imagine just how LITTLE it weighs, and how SMALL it is: the 300 PF-E weighs 755 grams! The "light" 300/4 AF-S weighs 1440 grams. The Nikon 200-500 is 2,300 grams. A 70-200/2.8 VR-2 weighs 1,540 grams. The common 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR weighs 745 grams. The Tamron 150-600 is 1,950 grams.

Most reactions

Back