The night beckons patiently for the day's conclusion

Harpper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem?...One of the problems of being a photographer means that sometimes I don't get a chance to fully enjoy the scene I'm taking. I'm usually so busy taking the picture that sometimes I don't enjoy the moment especially a sunset because it can be drastically different every few minutes.

So for this picture I decided to take only a few shots and then put down my camera and just enjoy the view before me. Sunsets go by surprisingly quick when I'm trying to figure out the best compositions and exposures, so I decided to just enjoy one sunset for a change. :wink: Hopefully, this picture turned out ok. I would like to know what you guys think about it. Thanks.

msunset8a.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate your comments.

steve817 said:
Your problem is?
My problem is that since I'm a photographer I don't get to fully soak in the environment I'm taking because my mind is busy taking pictures. Seeing the world through the eyes of the camera, on tv, or in a picture is a different experience than being self aware of all your senses when you are actually there. For example, when people are thinking nice sunset I'm thinking what aperture, shutter speed, etc. ;)

I was just wondering if you guys also debated whether to put down the camera and enjoy the moment or to spend the moment busy behind the camera? It's vary rare for me to just take a few shots and then stop because I usually use every possible second to recompose and experiment with my shots.

I was just wondering if you guys also debated whether to put down the camera and enjoy the moment or to spend the moment busy behind the camera? It's vary rare for me to just take a few shots and then stop because I usually use every possible second to recompose and experiment with my shots.
Even when I don't have my camera with me, I'm thinking how I would shoot the sunset. I haven't enjoyed a sunset without thinking of my camera since I started shooting :lol:

lol, I see where you are coming from. I saw the most gorgeous scene of Auckland the other day, the sky was pink, there was a double rainbow over the Skytower, both reflections where reflected in the ocean. There was a row of multi coloured boats, whose reflection was also in the water. The lighting was immaculate. And i didn't have my camera!

But, after sulking for about 10 seconds - I just realised how fortunate I was just to see such a beautiful scene. I don't need a camera, its already etched permanently in my mind :D

voodoocat said:
Even when I don't have my camera with me, I'm thinking how I would shoot the sunset. I haven't enjoyed a sunset without thinking of my camera since I started shooting :lol:

And you always see what could potentially be your best shot when your without your camera. Well, obviously not this time.

:shock:

How ironic, I was just coming to post this same question! I often feel that I miss out on some of the event when I am there photographing. Esp with my sons birthdays parties, I'm too busy documenting to sit back and enjoy. However, I would feel jittery if I didn't have my camera, and like the others here I'm always thinking about talking a picture anyway.

I love this image, very well done!

Harpper said:
Does anyone else have this problem?...One of the problems of being a photographer means that sometimes I don't get a chance to fully enjoy the scene I'm taking. I'm usually so busy taking the picture that sometimes I don't enjoy the moment especially a sunset because it can be drastically different every few minutes.

I realized this the last time I was shooting a sunset. I took quite a few pictures, but at the end, I had to stop for 5 minutes and enjoy the view. The plus side to missing all those great sunsets is that you can view a representation of them over and over again, and share it with others.

Btw, great shot :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back