THE NIKON D60 IS KILLING ME!

breemcmahon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thisisbree.livejournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ahhh! so frustrated. i finally decided on the 50mm f/1.8 lens for my nikon, as my first lens [besides the kit one...]
oh wait. AF. not AF-S. no auto-focus?!?
does anyone have this lens for the nikon d60? how is it manually focusing? i don't know if i can handle it! and if i can't, i don't even know where to look now! HELP!

I don't see why people hate manual focusing so much, stop being lazy.

"Back in my day..."

seriously though, manual focusing is not that hard, it just takes practice. I have a 300 f2.8 that is manual focus. Its a fact of life with that lens, otherwise I would not have been able to afford a fast super tele.

You will be fine. Portraits are steady and not moving so you have plenty of time to get the focus right.

I shoot sports with my manual focus...now that is challenging, but still doable.

whoa! impressed!
well then i'm going to order it tomorrow then. i had my heart set on it and at first it just SANK. all is well though now. thanks so much!

If it's not too late, don't.

You don't have to be lazy to want an autofocus lens - especially since it's a fast lens and so you want to be able to focus quickly.

Consider the new 35mm f/1.8 - it's AF-S, is the equivalent to the 55mm roughly (~52mm) and is only a little more in price.

If it's not too late, don't.

You don't have to be lazy to want an autofocus lens - especially since it's a fast lens and so you want to be able to focus quickly.

Consider the new 35mm f/1.8 - it's AF-S, is the equivalent to the 55mm roughly (~52mm) and is only a little more in price.

That however, is double the price of nifty fifty.
If you can get a 50mm f/1.8 for less than say...$80, it's worth going that route.

Or if you have lots of cash to spend, 35mm would actually be a great choice. (my next lens when I gather up enough dough)

get the af lens.

it sucks not having af.

call me lazy, but when i was working pro i wouldn't have dealt with it, period.

if you have time then get manual.

but really for me i just wouldn't have bought the d60, your right its whats killing you....

I rarley use AF lenses. Most of my lenses are M42 mount Zeiss, Fujinon, and Takumar. While the rest are F-mount and PK-mount manual lenses. I only have One AF kit lens.

Sometimes AF is good to have. But I never find mysel seriously needing AF.

To each his own. :D

I recently bought my d60 and my both lens are AF and i usually have AF off. Unless you plan to do events which are fast pace, you don't need it. Just my two cents.

ahhh! so frustrated. i finally decided on the 50mm f/1.8 lens for my nikon, as my first lens [besides the kit one...]
oh wait. AF. not AF-S. no auto-focus?!?
does anyone have this lens for the nikon d60? how is it manually focusing? i don't know if i can handle it! and if i can't, i don't even know where to look now! HELP!
:( Unfortunately this is one of the downsides to the entry level Nikons, they lack AF motors in their bodies so the most affordable lenses don't autofocus.

Hopefully things work out for ya, I'm sure with practice you can master the art of manual focus.

It's a nice lens but I'm glad I have the D90 with a focus motor! Manual focusing here and there is fine but for each shot, no thanks.

Things that made me upgrade from a D40, oddly none of them were lens choices initially:

Dual command dials
Built in focus motor
Ability to add a GPS.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back