The Oasis Pond

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by abraxas, Nov 14, 2007.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fading to abstract, ...
    -
    -
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    -
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    -
    -
    [​IMG]

2. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tap, tap, tap -- testing. Test 1, 2, 3...

Nothing?

Anyhow,... these are some edits of detail shots of the 49 Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree National Park, Ca. This is the 4th oasis I've photo-documented of the 5 oases in the park. Ultimately they will be combined with text from related, local Native American stories.

The stories and tales edge along the -other-worldly- I wanted to go slightly abstract with the photos- that's always seemed to be a bit of a push here :)

3. WNK

WNK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second one definitely seems abstract to me!

The first seems to be on the bluish side (not sure if this was intentional?)

I think that abstract is a bit harder to critique because it intentionally breaks the "rules" of photography; don't let that discourage you! It sounds like it'll be a really neat project!

4. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks WNK. The first is closest to what was actually going on at the spring. The rocks are very blue-gray. The other two I added a warming filter to in PS. The day was mostly overcast with the sun nearly breaking through at moments becoming very warm. The oasis spring is shady in a very narrow canyon.

Thanks again, I appreciate the comments.

5. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second is most interesting to me, particularly in the abstract content. I don't get the framing of the other two in the same way as I get the second - ie I'm finding it harder to connect with why you felt those were the right places for the edges of the frame to be. Did you consider alternatives?

I don't think that 'abstract' breaks the rules of photography because it is an inherent property of every image, whether conscious or not. Photography does what you are trying to do here very well, I believe.

Best,
    Helen