The official NEWBIE wedding photography thread!

JerryPH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've wanted to do it for a while, and have literally enough topics to fill a book already written down, BUT... place your questions (not suggestions!), here.

I will enmasse a certain amount of questions, then stop, write an article in my blog and post the address here.

Why would I not take suggestions/ideas/tips/hints, etc... here? For 2 reasons:

- I will research the answers MYSELF.
- I want to show that besides the tremendous knowledgebase on this site, that there are answers outside of this thread... like in searches here, and on the net AND I will be asking and talking to professionals face to face on occaission too.

I lookk at it as an opportunity to add to my knowledge and share, NOT take from here.

With that said... from now till the weekend (June 8 deadline) for questions... ask away and ask ANYTHING wedding photography related!!!!

Let's see what this newbie (ME!) can come up with!

Cool!

What's the largest you've ever printed images from a wedding?

What were your turn-around times?

Where did you position yourself?

Did you have other shooters/assistants? what did they do?

Did you actively search for assistants, or did they come find you?

How much overhead did you have? what were the costs?

How much time is spent outside of the wedding in post?

on average, how much of the wedding would you stay for?

Ever botch a wedding?

:D

Awesome start!

Try to keep the questions centered around the concept of you being a wedding 'tog newb and need help on getting some good shots at a wedding (and less on interview kind questions. The concept is a newb getting info and sharing it with other newbs). I want to keep the blog under 1000 pages long too. LOL!

But that doesn't mean to not ask the hard questions!

Um... Well... See.. We already got one of these AND it's a sticky......

And to boot it has people who SHOOT weddings PROFESIONALLY giving answers.

And your point is? You certainly cannot be afraid that a newb may actually have something to contribute, can you?

Its a fun project... let's keep the negatives out of it, ok? Basically, I am not asking for advice or critique. If you cannot ask a question that you feel with all your worldly experience as a world-class wedding photographer that could help a newbie... please don't post at all.

Now where are all the newbs with the questions? Here is your chance to ask... so ask or forever hold your peace that no one did anything for you in this area!!

All I really meant to say is there is already a thread. By the way I don't think I ever contributed to that thread because there are alot of very qualified wedding photographers that covered all of the info.

You enjoy repeating yourself, huh? lol

Come on JIP, add something to the mix, I know you're good and have something to offer... think of a question that you feel would help out a newb!

How do you go about lighting for all parts of a wedding?

Well since you seriously wanted an answer, and I can answer that outside the blog...

I don't want to become a wedding photographer. I make more than 90% of these people in my current job. I am doing it as an experiment and for the 2 reasons outlined up top.

I chose WP as a topic becuase I see that there are tons of challenges in it that go beyond photography. A strong business sense and a personality that promotes professionalism and a pleasant and fun demeanor is a challenge that you are NEVER going to face doing nature or architectural photos.

I also think that because I shadowed a pro 3 times so far, I see things from fresh newbie eyes, but since I have held a dSLR in my hand for under a year, I still ask the "dumb" quesitons.

There is a rush that I get in WP that is not there anywhere else. I get a LOT of pleasure from it and I believe that we can lower all these "I am a newbie photographer, how do I shoot a wedding" kind of questions.

As for that thread? I can speak to you of horror stories in my business that make this look like kindergarden school. Personally, I find that VERY easy to resolve, if I was the original photographer hired to do the shoot.

Personally, I respect the side of the photographer when their rights are trampled upon, but I have one opinion that I did not mention that I think renders his entire case moot. That is the simple fact that the B&G hired HIM for HIS style... and not only did he not show up without warning, he sent some sub-contractor??? On top of that the replacement did not even bother to show up on time (much less go through all the processs to get to know the couple which I feel is IMPORTANT in this field).

IMHO, *he* breached the contract rendering it null and void. If at that moment the bride felt the need to have his pro-tog brother fill in, they were well within their rights... all assuming that this happened exactly like it was typed, right?

We all know there are 3 sides to every story.

Hope that answers your question. :D

Ok,simple question. Seriously looking for an answer.

WHY? Why in heaven would you want to do wedding photography?

I believe I would give up photography rather than do weddings.

Edited 7:25 p.m.

See this new thread.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125447

I repeat my question....

Some peopl don't like chocolate some people do some people don't like peanut butter some people do. I have shot weddings steady for 6+ years and loved every minute of it. Even the bad ones had their good points but as you so clearly stated it is not for everyone. For me besides the rush of having such a stressful occasion being put on my shoulders I just love being paid to go to a party every week. I mean what other job are you going to get (I guess I can name a couple but not many) that everyone is happy (for the most part) wether it is fake or not every one has a smile on their face and everyone is having a good time.

I mean what other job are you going to get (I guess I can name a couple but not many) that everyone is happy (for the most part) wether it is fake or not every one has a smile on their face and everyone is having a good time.

The sex trade? :lol::lol:

The sex trade? :lol::lol:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
:hail::hail::hail:

Here is the question:
What you will do if you agree to do the wedding photography for the Groom and later on found out that the Bride is your ex (girl friend / Wife)?

And during the session, you even found that she became your ex because of him? Still do a good job? Leave the scene?

Here is the question:
What you will do if you agree to do the wedding photography for the Groom and later on found out that the Bride is your ex (girl friend / Wife)?

Shoot her.

And during the session, you even found that she became your ex because of him? Still do a good job? Leave the scene?

Shoot him.

Most reactions

Back