The official NEWBIE wedding photography thread!

Can we see some of your wedding pics?

This is something that I have answered several times already as well here.

I would like to, but in the verbal contract with the professional that I 2nd for, we agreed that since I had no intentions of going pro, there was no need for a portfolio and that he wanted 100% control and ownership of all pics that I took for him, that I could not display or use the pictures.

Since that is what it took for us to come to a deal, I agreed and we shook hands on that. I know where you are going, and thats fine, but this deal in no way invalidates my ability to offer a few helpful hints for a less experienced camera user to use at a wedding.

Bottom line... if the blog doesn't help you, don't go there... if it does, good for you, enjoy.

I think you need to go back and read it again... maybe even 2 times. I say SEVERAL times in there for beginners NOT to do it, to leave it to a professional. However, if they are at a wedding and are not the primaries, I offer tips and suggestions on how they could get better results.

Having shot 3 weddings (#4 in a few days) gives me more than enough experience and the right to say that... whether you agree or not.

I never discuss money, or did you not notice that? Also you need to set 2 feet firmly on terra firma. I am not telling ANYONE how to turn pro, nor shoot a wedding as one. If and when I decide to do so myself, I may... untl then, until I can speak from personal experience, I cannot and will not.

Now... if any one else wants to offer their 2 cents? Go for it... but for pete's make it constructive criticism, or else don't bother, becuase I sure won't care, nor listen to BS comments like this. ;)

Tongue lashing? Don't make me laugh... I am not 12 years old, and trust me, I can take more than what you could ever offer, anyways.

But don't expect to give without getting some back.

Funny how the ones who contribute THE LEAST are the ones bitching the loudest. Hipocrites.

So let me get this straight then, if you're not giving advice to newbies or beginners then who are you giving advice too? If they are a second shooter, I'm sure they're getting advice from the pro they're working for.

I'm not bitching. What I'm flat out saying is you shouldn't be giving advice on photographing weddings. Period. Yes, that is my opinion and I understand that.

As for the "tongue lashing", I never said I would be the one giving it. I never said you were giving advice on money, all I said was don't start.

I do find it a little strange that you would be giving advice on photographing weddings and you can't show examples of your work. Yes, I know you can't, due to the agreement you have with the pro you're shooting with. All I'm saying is that it looks bad on your part. Again, that's my opinion and you may not agree.

As for contributing, when I see things that I can give advice on, then I do just that.

I will step off my soapbox now, good luck with this thread.

So let me get this straight then, if you're not giving advice to newbies or beginners then who are you giving advice too?
The many here and on other forums who are asking "I'm going to my *whatever relative's* wedding and ask for help, thats who. It's also a great exercise for me.

I'm flat out saying is you shouldn't be giving advice on photographing weddings. Period. Yes, that is my opinion and I understand that.
And my opinion is that you have no knowledge of what I can or cannot do, therefore you should not be dissing people. Period.

I never said you were giving advice on money, all I said was don't start.
Don't start what, something that I never was going to do in the first place due to SIMPLE COMMON SENSE? How can I start talking money? Based on what, continent? country? state or province? local town? competative pricing research? YOU brought this up, not me. I don't live on all continents, countries, states or provinces, so why in the heck would I want to do it in the first place???

I do find it a little strange that you would be giving advice on photographing weddings and you can't show examples of your work. Yes, I know you can't, due to the agreement you have with the pro you're shooting with. All I'm saying is that it looks bad on your part. Again, that's my opinion and you may not agree.

No, I agree, but I am bound by an agreement with my friend, and I am not going to break it. But to worry, pics are eventually coming.

jols said:
Thought so!
You should have known this, I openly stated this months before I even started this blog project. It was no secret. ;)

I did'nt actually know this because I do not read everything on here.

I just would not want someone advising me on something when I am really not sure if they can do it themselves.

Everything that you have ever written could of just been copied out of a book how are we really to know.?

The many here and on other forums who are asking "I'm going to my *whatever relative's* wedding and ask for help, thats who. It's also a great exercise for me.

Ok, one more thing. Maybe I missed it, but did you mention that if you go to someone's wedding and whip out your equipment (talking DSLRs and lenses here) and start shooting while the main is around, you may find yourself in a bit of trouble? I don't know about the pro you shoot with, but a lot of pros do not like amateurs hanging around a wedding with their equipment. It shows disrespect to the pro, even if they are shooting just candids....

Ok, one more thing. Maybe I missed it, but did you mention that if you go to someone's wedding and whip out your equipment (talking DSLRs and lenses here) and start shooting while the main is around, you may find yourself in a bit of trouble? I don't know about the pro you shoot with, but a lot of pros do not like amateurs hanging around a wedding with their equipment. It shows disrespect to the pro, even if they are shooting just candids....

That's funny because I have shot wedings for 7 years and never once had a feeling like that.

Everything that you have ever written could of just been copied out of a book how are we really to know.?

What's your point? He's not trying to sell anything. You act like you are trying to protect unsuspecting newbs from something, but what? He's offering advice for people interested. IMO he has stated his intention, level of knowledge, and objective quite clearly. From there it is for each individual reader to determine if the info is relevant or worthwhile to them. If you think it's common knowledge or regurgitated from books, then fine, it's not useful to you. But it may very well be to someone else.

Mike30D said:
Wow, you really have a set of big ones to be out here saying you have experience in the wedding field. I've done a couple on my own and I currently second shoot for a pro and there's no way I'd be out here saying I have experienced enough to be giving people advice on shooting weddings.

It sounds like your own experience is pretty limited since you've only ventured out and done a "couple" on your own. So what makes YOU such an expert on the matter that you are fit to judge whether JerryPH should be giving advice on shooting weddings? Seems like hypocrisy to me!

I'm all for people giving honest critique of photos, but to critique advice??? It's not like either of you have shown that any of his info is wrong. You're both just whining that he isn't fit to give the advice. IMO unless you're here to correct MISinformation... move on! You're just ruining a good thread.

That's funny because I have shot wedings for 7 years and never once had a feeling like that.

And I would dare say that you are in the majority, JIP. :)

Thats one of the first things that I asked, and what I was told is more or less common sense if you take a few seconds to think about it.

The pro that I shoot with never felt like that either, and he's met his share of "uncle bobs" that like to stand beside him or shoot over his head. He has a nice technique to handle that situation... its called politely excuse yourself as you move around and then ignore them... do what you need to get the job done as well as one can.

This can also be addressed in advance by simply letting the poeple know that there will be a professional photographer around, and to kindly give him the room he needs to work. People are usually more than accomodating if asked by someone in the wedding party. I've mentioned it in the FAQ on the blog site as well. It was one of the questions asked in this very thread.

RockDawg... thank-you.

What's your point? He's not trying to sell anything. You act like you are trying to protect unsuspecting newbs from something, but what? He's offering advice for people interested. IMO he has stated his intention, level of knowledge, and objective quite clearly. From there it is for each individual reader to determine if the info is relevant or worthwhile to them. If you think it's common knowledge or regurgitated from books, then fine, it's not useful to you. But it may very well be to someone else.

It sounds like your own experience is pretty limited since you've only ventured out and done a "couple" on your own. So what makes YOU such an expert on the matter that you are fit to judge whether JerryPH should be giving advice on shooting weddings? Seems like hypocrisy to me!

I'm all for people giving honest critique of photos, but to critique advice??? It's not like either of you have shown that any of his info is wrong. You're both just whining that he isn't fit to give the advice. IMO unless you're here to correct MISinformation... move on! You're just ruining a good thread.

Yes, my experience is limited. Do you see me giving advice on shooting weddings?? No, I didn't think so. It was an opinion, I NEVER said I was an expert on the matter. As for JIP not getting upset about people (or uncle bobs) shooting over his shoulder, that's great. I'm all for it, all I said is that there are a ton of pros out there that do get upset over it and to be careful. I can see I've started a bunch of trouble so I will stop now and go quietly.

not at all, but you cannot deny he has nothing to back up his skill.

except words, which just dont cut it in my book.

and since we started to question his ability nobody else has entered with questions to this vastly experienced wedding photographer or should i say amatuer with burning ambitons

LETS SEE SOME PHOTOS

ASK THE PRO FOR PERMISSION TO SHOW SAY THREE FOR 48 HOURS ONLY

BET YOU DONT OR COME UP WITH AN EXCUSE

not at all, but you cannot deny he has nothing to back up his skill. except words, which just dont cut it in my book.
LETS SEE SOME PHOTOS

No excuses, but I will do it on *MY* schedule, when *I* want. Not when you want. If you have issues with that, too bad, I just don't feel like wasting my time on you anymore.

Yes, my experience is limited. Do you see me giving advice on shooting weddings?? No, I didn't think so. It was an opinion, I NEVER said I was an expert on the matter. As for JIP not getting upset about people (or uncle bobs) shooting over his shoulder, that's great. I'm all for it, all I said is that there are a ton of pros out there that do get upset over it and to be careful. I can see I've started a bunch of trouble so I will stop now and go quietly.

I can't speak for alot of other people but to me it seems like if you are going to tell your boss (your client is your boss) who should and should not be taking pictures at their wedding you are going to have a real problem getting referrals. I guess though I could be wrong as I was taught by a very old school wedding photographer who had alot of respect for the people he was working for.

This can also be addressed in advance by simply letting the poeple know that there will be a professional photographer around, and to kindly give him the room he needs to work. People are usually more than accomodating if asked by someone in the wedding party. I've mentioned it in the FAQ on the blog site as well. It was one of the questions asked in this very thread.

RockDawg... thank-you.
I have to say though this is the thing I hate the most at weddings. I was attending a wedding the other day and I heard the DJ make a coment about staying out of the way of the photog and I had to cringe. Fo rme one of the first things I like to do after introducing myself to the DJ is to ask him not to make any announcements regarding m and staying out of my way. The best way to destroy any spontiaiety at a wedding is to constantly point out that there is a photographer out there and you should STAY OUT OF HIS WAY!!!!.

Most reactions

Back