The one industry truly killed off by digital photography.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Garbz, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So many industries are struggling but still there. People still use film, there are still black and white chemical labs around, and even some discontinued films are now being reverse engineered by hobby chemists. But there's one thing you will never see again. We now live in a world of quick snaps, photoshop edits. Where now anyone and not just darkroom gurus can do basically anything.

Who will ever again believe someone when they post a picture of a UFO online! If someone showed you a picture now of bigfoot, what would you think? What would you have thought 30 years ago?

Just got this thought after watching an ancient episode of X-Files.

2. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It could be faked with film as well.

3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Over the years technology even in it's basic form has changed the way we live.

From walking to the horse, to the wagon, to the car, to the plane, to space....what does the future hold?

Sometimes I hate to see the 'old way' die, but I am always looking forward to the unknown. ;)

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anyone who has done a lot of photo manipulation knows what to look for in a "suspicious" photo and can find the evidence of manipulation, if that has been done.
    After all, perfect manipulation on a pixel by pixel level is next to impossible.

skieur

5. Dykstra

Dykstra TPF Noob!

I am absolutely glad that it's come to this. To be honest, too many people have been sucked into the frame of mind that photography is a frame of reality. Not even close! It's barely a representation of reality! You can't pass a biased two-dimensional frame excluding 99% of the story as truth nor reality. In my point of view, anything a person takes a picture of and says it's what it is, is in essence, "faked".

6. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A valid thought but what is the difference between a darkroom guru and a PS one?

As VI said, it was done with film. Not only that but 1/ study magic a little bit and you will find out that deception is very easy and 2/ deception in photography can be as simple as re-framing an image. As a former PJ I always laugh about "a photograph doesn't lie." Re-framing is a wonderful way of totally changing the meaning of an image.

7. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Everything has it's time and usually makes a comeback. Look at muscle cars for example. Manufacturers are making them to look like the old ones because they know it will draw a large crowd.

8. maris

maris TPF Noob!

Photographs on film can't be faked.

For a film photograph to happen a physical sample of the subject matter has to travel to the film, burrow into it, and occasion chemical changes that result in marks you can see.

What can be faked is subject matter. How many Loch Ness monsters are distant floating logs? How many UFO's are Frisbees? Photographs do not lie, film photographs that is, but liars may photograph.

9. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sure, they can. My mother and I were successfully playing with faking photographs in the 70s. At the time, we were inspired by others who were having fun with landing planes on the Niagara River above the falls etc.

skieur

10. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think, what Garbz is actually trying to say is that with the broad knowledge that digital photos can (easily!) be changed, with things copied into them from other photos and so on, fewer and fewer people can still be sucked into the belief that there actually has been a UFO. When photo manipulation was still done by few who had the knowledge and the access to a darkroom, many MORE people could still be tricked. Today, you may even present a 1:1 image of what was, no photoshop whatsoever applied, and have people blame you of having inserted things via Photoshop, so things seem to be reversing themselves in the perception of the masses.

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that given the overall poor quality of UFO photos in the days of film that faking was easier. Currently with magnification on a pixel level and the need for the sharpness of the UFO to equal overall digital picture quality, faking is easier to spot and more difficult to hide.

skieur

12. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    But, one who spent hours in the darkroom, is now spending hours working in photoshop, and other editing programs. Either way, the process is still the same.

Photograph
    Develop (upload)
    Edit

That hasnt changed. Digital photography has simply allowed for more creativity. It hasn't made it any easier. Buy a 5000 dollar 4x5 setup, and take crappy pictures cause you don't know what youre doing. Buy a 5000 dollar nikon d3s and a 2000 dollar lens, and you still take garbage pics cause you dont know what your are doing.

Photography is just evolving. Thats all.