The one word I would ban

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by The_Traveler, Feb 20, 2007.

1. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The one word I would ban from this or any forum is the word 'cool.' I just cringe when a commenter uses the word 'cool' instead of really making some effort to say what the image means in some more understandable way.

Inevitably, I cross this person off my list of people I wuld ever listen to.

2. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im not sure I wuld agree.

Sorry, had to.

I really think it depends on how its used. I dont think you can just disregard a persons opinion simply because they say it looks cool. Maybe that is all the image does for them. Maybe it doesnt force them to think past the point of it looking interesting, different, or cool.

3. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    Although it may not be my favorite adjective, I think you are only hurting yourself by blocking others opinions out because of such a tiny detail.

4. The_Traveler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let's say your spouse cooks a meal and asks what you think of it - and you say, 'interesting.' Well that clearly is a non-response.

Saying something is 'cool' is equivalent. I have no idea what the commenter means and thus the comment means nothing. Why is it cool? What about it is implying coolness? What the hell is 'ccol.'

I understand 'composition', 'color', 'DOF', 'sharpness', 'focus' but 'cool' I don't understand.

And yes, I can just disregard a person's opinion for saying 'cool'; in fact, saying 'cool' is a surefire way to make me think "man, is this the highest level of cognition that this person has available? We swim in a sea of words about photography and, when faced with a picture that I think enough of to put out there for people's opinion, all he or she can muster is 'cool.'

Well, that's not good enough. If the picture is my best effort, I want theirs. Think of some words. Slide them into a sentence. And give that back."

If you want my best effort when I look at your picture, I expect yours when you critique mine.

'Cool' works for Autumn days. 'Cool' works for Steve McQueen or Jamie Fox. 'Cool' even works for my ex-wife's demeanor. But for my pictures, it better be at least an intelligible sentence - or don't bother.

5. The_Traveler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What am I missing?

If the sum total of a person's comments are that my picture is 'cool,' I don't see that I am missing anything but the pleasure of their company.

OK, the first 'cool' is acceptable but after that, what? Is two 'cools' better than one?

Say I get 12 'cools' and 14 'not-cools.' How does that help me to improve my photography? What part of taking pictures should I re-assess?

If the entire point of criticism is to help the person being criticized improve, than a criticism has to align itself with the art - and as far as I can tell, the only art that 'cool' would help is refrigerative technology.

6. EBphotography

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. I agreed with you in that cool is not the best word to use, because it is vague. I disagree however, that their opinion should be disregarded. If someone said "That looks cool." to one of my photo, and then on my next photo gives me a much more detailed response, I would listen to them and assume that their vague response was just that the photo didn't really impact them very much. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

7. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

?? Tell me you're not serious!
    Okay, if the only response you would ever get would be 'cool', you may have a point. But sometimes a picture is cool. And that could be enough.
    (well, eh...like Soul Rebel said)

pascal

8. The_Traveler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Definitions of Hyperbole on the Web:

[SIZE=-1]a deliberate exaggeration or overstatement
    www.iclasses.org/assets/literature/literary_glossary.cfm[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Exaggeration used for emphasis. Hyperbole can be used to heighten effect, to catalyze recognition, or to create a humorous perception. Example:
    home.cfl.rr.com/eghsap/apterms.html[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    An intentional exaggeration for emphasis or comic effect.
    www.armour.k12.sd.us/Mary's%20Classes/literary_terms_glossary.htm[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

"Hyperbole is exaggeration or overstatement. Example: I'm so hungry I could eat a horse. He's as big as a house" (Nellen, Literary Terms).
    www.cocc.edu/lisal/literaryterms/d_h.htm[/SIZE]

9. EBphotography

Photos OK to edit
    Hyperbole or not, I still don't see the point of this post. If you really think the word cool is an issue, post in the suggestions forum. Things like this don't need to be thrown into the Off Topic section.

10. ace184

ace184 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

11. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cool idea.

:wink:

12. The_Traveler

Photos NOT OK to edit

It's hyperbole. I'm trying to make the point in a humorous way that critique that is ill-defined doesn't help anyone.

OK, you'll have to explain this to me. Is this not Off-Topic enough?

OK, my next post will be about the incredible shortage of raisin bran in upper New England.