The Only Lens

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by woodsac, Sep 20, 2005.

1. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right now I only have 2 lenses. I know that different situations require different lenses, but what if I only want to carry one lense most of the time?

The 70-300mm is tooooo long. The 17-85mm IS is a great lens. But I don't think I need something that wide all the time, and I would like a little more zoom.

I was considering the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Still semi-wide, and it gives me a little more zoom. Does this seem like a good all around choice?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is on a digital body?

That is considered a very good lens, a good 'walk around' lens. I would think that it would not be wide enough on a 1.6 crop camera but if the 17-85 is too wide, then this sounds like a good fit for you.

3. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I have a 28-105 and it's a great lens. Wide enough, but still has more zoom than others (especially on a digital). If I don't typically know ahead of time what the shooting situation will be like, that's the lens of choice. I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with it IMO.

4. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the feedback. Don't get me wrong, the 17-85 is great! And it's not that it's too wide, I just find myself needing a little more zoom (more often than not).

5. Becky

Becky TPF Noob!

I'd say thats a good choice, I recently bought a 28-105 USM... not quite as big a zoom obviously but I find the range great for an good walkaround lens... so certainly if you can afford to go for the slightly bigger then do so :)

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Maybe explain the situations that you shoot. Sometimes a better zoom can be remedied by getting closer.

7. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you dont need a large zoom range, consider looking at canon's, sigma's, and tamron's 24-70 or 28-75mm lenses. They all have max apertures of 2.8, which is very helpful, and they can be used for portraits with great results if you ever decide to try that. If '120mm' (with the crop factor) is long enough for you, i'd say go for it. They are all quite good.

here are some reviews:

canon 24-70L:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=5&sort=7&cat=27&page=1

sigma 28-70:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=100&sort=7&cat=37&page=1

tamron 28-75:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=246&sort=7&cat=43&page=1

As you'll see, canon isnt the only company that makes good lenses. even tamron's lens outscored the L lens.

about the one you are considering, here is one that is similar, and quite a bit better (just doesnt have IS):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=241&sort=7&cat=43&page=1

8. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

It's a personal choice and type of shooting you do. I'd keep 17-85 as the only lens... Or maybe 24 L or sigma 30/1.4

Telephotos are overrated. ;)