The People of Osu In Nagoya Japan (3/4)

Comments are welcome in this thread too. It doesn't have to be in the 4/4 one. :D

I just realized that the majority of the clothing had English on them, instead of Japanese. Kind of surprised me...

Yup. English lettered or worded T's are popular here. The kids spend over half of their younger scholastic years memorizing Kanji and learning Hiragana and Katakana (the three alphabets used for Japanese) so I think they're burned out on it by the time they're buying their own cloths. :D

What I think is funny is that more than half of the catch-copy on the cloths makes no sense what-so-ever. :D

lol one of the last ones had a surfing shirt in english on it... it makes no grammatical sense though. "famous world spot trip to surf" but i guess it goes un-noticed there?

Yup. :D At the university I taught at one of my favorite ice-breakers is asking what shirts say. No one ever knows. They can read english (learned in Jr. High, and H.S.) but they don't bother. :p

I guess it's better in a way though. I think the typical Japanese mind is MUCH less cluttered than western minds. Much less "expirienced" (in several senses) too I think.

Street shooting looks a lot less hazardous to your health over there. Keep 'em coming.

You mean it's dangerous over there in NJ? Why? People get pissed or something?

I've never been threatened, but I've read stories. People seem to be a lot more receptive over there.

I've never been threatened, but I've read stories. People seem to be a lot more receptive over there.

Yeah, well, the people here aren't having the hell scared out of them (for no reason) by their gov.. I guess without the fake terrorism threat Americans would be cooler about it too.

Many of the shots the camera is "looking up", were you shooting from the hip?

Gary

Wow! Outstanding observation! But not hip-shooting. I was sitting on this bench:

People_111.jpg

where you see the smokers sitting. And the camera I have has a flip-up EVF (spin the QTVR: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_qtvr.html ) so I was holding it just up off my knees looking down into the camera.

Almost all these shots were me practicing using the camera's low-light subject tracking. My test results: It works. :D

It's fun to track people's feet as they walk through a crowd. :D

Last edited:
I really love these pictures, as I think you know. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and... hey dude... nice shorts!!!

People_158.jpg

Thanks man!

Yeah, those shorts are really something aye?

I was looking for the pajama people but didn't see any that day.

Nice shots, let alone that you took them in manual mode (??), but why is everyone but the girl on the bike trying to look American?? :confused:

Edit: I just realized these were shot with a P&S and so manual mode is to be expected.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back