The "Perfect" Camera-Lens Combo

pugnacious33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
soundinsights.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After years (literally) of trying to determine the best stuff to fill my camera bag, I think i've finally found it. Keep in mind this factors in my style of shooting (mostly wildlife, nature, landscape, travel, rarely portraits), my budget (approx. 3500) and the fact that I already have a Sigma 10-20 that I wouldn't part with for anything, a good tripod and camera bag and all the accessories I need. I've pretty much settled on this combo and I know "perfection" can never be acheived, i'm curious to hear your opinions of it, and what you might change. PS: upgrading from an xti.

Canon 50D w/vertical grip (considered the 7d, but don't need video and the extra MP doesn't equal the huge price jump, IMO)
Sigma 10-20 EX
Canon 100-400L (I love to shoot birds, and 400 is the minimum IMO)
Sigma/Tamron/Tokina 100 2.8 Macro (to double as portrait lens...haven't decided on which, but all get good reviews and are economical).
Tamron 28-75 as a "walkaround".

:)

I don't know about "Perfect", but it should serve you well. I went for the Canon 100mm macro, but I've heard great things about the Tamron 90mm. You might consider adding off-camera flash/cord.

3 of your 5 were my picks too... I just got the 50D, My first keeper lense purchase will be the Sigma 10-20, and the 100-400L is on my "someday" list.

Haven't considered if I will want primes yet, and I'm sure I will eventually will be looking for a nicer walkaround to replace the 28-135 kit from the 50d, but it works for me for now since I'm just getting started.

I think your chosen subjects are pretty close to what I like to do as well

I think that is a very good combo for the type of photography that you are doing. Very few enthusiasts or pros have the "perfect" camera/lens package combo. Leica for example tested out a few years back as having the best lenses for nature and landscape photography and Canon for the best lenses for architectural photos. However most photographers would choke at a Leica S-2 at $27,000 plus lenses which would probably bring it up to $35,000. Most photographers have to be satisfied with what they can afford vs what is perfect.

skieur

That and "perfect" is an unattainable ideal.

Very true. The more experience you have, the more you realize that no camera/lens combo has absolutely everything you want in terms of features or quality in absolutely all areas.

skieur

All good points guys, thanks for your input.

I got away from the "walkaround" lens concept years ago and I think it has helped me improve. I just accept the fact that i'll have a bag with me and i'll have to change lenses. The tamron lens is still up in the air at this point. I have a tendency to work in the lower or upper range of focal length, so it may be a lens I can do without. Might just get a 50 prime and be done with it.

Out of interest ( and I know it costs more ) but have you considered the 24-105mm L f4 IS for your walk around lens slot? I know it loses you the f2.8 aspect but it gives you a little more zoom room when moving around with maybe just the one lens to hand. Failing that what about the 24-70mm f2.8 L?

On the camera front since you like wildlife consider also that the 7D has an improved weathersealing aspect over the likes of the 50D as well as a better AF setup. Though I can well understand that as its only the next camera up from the 50D that pressure to upgrade might not be very strong (esp with the cost factor). Also don't discount video too quick - I know that myself for wildife work I would love to be able to capture some events in video rather than just stills (And whilst hte ideal is a dedicated video capture setup that its yet even more cost, and luggage to carry around

Out of interest ( and I know it costs more ) but have you considered the 24-105mm L f4 IS for your walk around lens slot? I know it loses you the f2.8 aspect but it gives you a little more zoom room when moving around with maybe just the one lens to hand. Failing that what about the 24-70mm f2.8 L?

On the camera front since you like wildlife consider also that the 7D has an improved weathersealing aspect over the likes of the 50D as well as a better AF setup. Though I can well understand that as its only the next camera up from the 50D that pressure to upgrade might not be very strong (esp with the cost factor). Also don't discount video too quick - I know that myself for wildife work I would love to be able to capture some events in video rather than just stills (And whilst hte ideal is a dedicated video capture setup that its yet even more cost, and luggage to carry around

I definitely considered both the 24-105 and 24-70 L lenses and ruled them out at this point because of cost. Though I may very well decide to go with on of them later. I would rule out the f4 because I would want to be able to use the lens in low light. This has been the most difficult part. I may just add a 18-50 or a 50 prime.

As for the camera, i've been using a rebel xti for the last 5 years, in some very harsh conditions and it has never missed a beat. I know the 50d is built to handle tougher conditions, so I think i'm good there. Cost is also an issue, my main purshase is the 100-400L so everything revolves around that. I'll probably upgrade bodies in 3-4 years anyway.

S2 is being treated like an urban legend. Not that it is not going to be available... it will. But it is an entirely unique system and without question, it is a PRO camera for quasi-studio and commercial work. I say quasi-studio, because Leica's philosophy for this camera was to offer a medium/large format camera in an SLR package. The camera is only slightly larger than a Canon MK 1V or Nikon D3. Maybe 10-15 percent larger... but the S-Format is 30 x 45 mm in size and has an aspect ration of 3 to 2.... again, all in a near-35mm body.

But it is a complete system. The body starts around $16,000K (but more like $20K) and then you'll need to begin with the lenses. Not JUST lenses... Leica S lenses. Buckle up kids... you're in for a ride.

The perfect camera to my mind... at least currently, has to be the Leica M9. Of course, perfect to me might be clumsy and antiquated to you. If you want face recognition, auto focus, 6fps burst rates, image stabilization... and all the Tokyo technology ... this camera is not for you.

However, if you want the best... and a creative tool that you can connect with and have become and extension of your eye... the M9 is unsurpassed. First and foremost, it is the smallest full frame digital camera available. Second, it uses Leica M series glass.

This camera... with a 21mm prime, a 35mm, a 50mm and maybe a 90mm would be a dream system. Not going to shoot sports or high speed action... but truly will shoot the lights out on anything else. Add a 50mm Noctolux f.90 (yes... less than 1.0) you can shoot by candlelight. It's simply a beautiful camera.

If you're not up for a bunch of lenses.... an M9 and a nice 35mm would still have you shooting with the legends.

If you're on a budget... find a Leica Digilux 2. Probably the best kept secret around.

JT

id be happy with a d3s and some 2.8 zooms :D

Hmmm. I think with your setup the best all around lens you should also consider is the Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS. I think it was the best general purpose lens I owned for my APS-C cropped for types like nature, travel, portrait and a walk around lens this is a very very very good lens to match up with your 50D. This is one of the "L" quality lenses that isn't an L. It's a little cheaper then the "L" but this thing is works great. I just sold mine only b/c I completely switched to Full Frame.

I'm very satisfied with my lens selection. The only thing I plan on changing is selling my 17-85 (and possibly the 70-300) for a 70-200 2.8L IS. It's about as perfect as I need for now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back