The perfect lens set for the 80D?

jakechris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So after hours of online research, photography pages, forums and YouTube videos, these are the final four "best" lenses I've decided on for my bag. My primary goal is to shoot portraits, baby pics, graduations and eventually weddings, so I'd like thoughts and opinions on this set up and if you think it's a great set for the purpose.

Main kit type lens: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART (like a bag of primes in one they say!)

Main prime: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART

Wide angle: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Telephoto: Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM

If anyone thinks this list is flawed, by all means, chime in!

I'm not enthusiastic about a MASSIVELY-sized 50mm lens for people work...I think the huge size and weight of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART is completely counter to the ethos of the 50mm prime. A $900 50mm on APS-C? I dunno...to me, f/1.4 is not a useful f/stop in most scenarios...f/1.8 is ample, yet still, photos shot at f/1.8 will likely be of limited usefulness in many situations...f/2 is a better aperture, performance-wise and DOF wise...f/2.8 is somewhat useful, but f/3.5 and f/4 and f/4.2 and f/4.5 are the go-to f/stops for 50mm lens use, as well as f/5.6...I just think in the digital camera era, that "f/1.4" is no longer all that useful, now that we have color imaging at ISO 320 or ISO 400 with GOOD picture quality!

A massive, havy, $900 50mm Sigma....ehhh...not my idea of the best in any way: size,price,price/performance. WHat aboiut nthe 50mm f/1.8 Canon STM lens? Or the venerable 50/1.4 EF? To me, a 50mm should be small, light, compact, and unobtrusive; a lens that draws attentio to itself through sheer size? Not my idea of the ebst type of 50mm lens for use on 'real people'. Not wannabe model types, no friends and family of photo bugs, but real, regular people.

Color-wise? I'd go all-Canon or all-Sigma, to have a completely color-matched lens set. Throwing a cool-balanced Tokina into the mix seems unwise to me.

I appreciate the response, and was thinking of possibly not getting the 50 at all if the 18-35 proves to be all I need for portraits, I have a 50 STM but want to get the most pro lenses possible for the 80D so I don't have to upgrade later. Interesting point about the Tokina, hadn't thought about the brands look being an issue.

Most reactions

Back