the photographer's eye version??

pthrift

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm ready to purchase the photographer's eye, but looking at amazon, they have the photographer's eye, (c)2007, and then the photographer's eye:graphic guide (c) 2013

Now amazon says its the same book only updated. My question is which one is most beneficial? Are they truly the same book?

Thanks-

If you look at the sub-title, it will give you a hint.

Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos.

Composition and design are the same for both digital and analog imaging. However, the most current version (2007) has added the digital post-processing aspect, albeit a whopping 2 pages.

Personally, I prefer to purchase the most current version as there may be editorial and technical corrections that are not obvious.

[h=3]The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman (May 23, 2007) [/h]

[h=3]The Photographer's Eye: Graphic Guide: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman (Sep 20, 2013)[/h]
Note that these are two different books.

Then there is another one:

[h=3]Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye Course: A Complete DVD + Book Masterclass by Michael Freeman (Oct 3, 2013)[/h]

And one with the same title, but by different authors.

[h=3]The Photographer's Eye by John Szarkowski, Lee Friedlander, Walker Evans and William Klein (Mar 1, 2007)[/h]

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you view the "graphic" version of the book on Amazon, there's a "look inside" preview feature. On page 7 (the introduction) he explains the difference.

The original version uses highly descriptive text with sample images to explain a concept, then show you the concept.
In the "graphic" version, he does the same thing, except he uses more imagery to convey the concept and fewer words.

I actually have the iPad "app" version of the original book... which is pretty cool because he takes advantage of the fact that he can lay out the book as an "app" and then add programatic features to apply overlays and transitions to images which show you what he means.

The answer is they are not actually the same book... but they are both meant to convey the same thing. One takes a more visual-based approach. The original version will be more descriptive and explain more about the theory (you probably get a better, deeper education as a result.)

Apparently there are two different books by that name now. I have one by John Szarkowski (somewhere) that's an oldie but a goodie, has been reprinted a number of times I think.

[h=3]The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman (May 23, 2007) [/h]

[h=3]The Photographer's Eye: Graphic Guide: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman (Sep 20, 2013)[/h]
Note that these are two different books.

Then there is another one:

[h=3]Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye Course: A Complete DVD + Book Masterclass by Michael Freeman (Oct 3, 2013)[/h]

And one with the same title, but by different authors.

[h=3]The Photographer's Eye by John Szarkowski, Lee Friedlander, Walker Evans and William Klein (Mar 1, 2007)[/h]
That much I understood, sometimes the new version mucks things up though which is why I was looking for reviews so to speak if both

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you view the "graphic" version of the book on Amazon, there's a "look inside" preview feature. On page 7 (the introduction) he explains the difference.

The original version uses highly descriptive text with sample images to explain a concept, then show you the concept.
In the "graphic" version, he does the same thing, except he uses more imagery to convey the concept and fewer words.

I actually have the iPad "app" version of the original book... which is pretty cool because he takes advantage of the fact that he can lay out the book as an "app" and then add programatic features to apply overlays and transitions to images which show you what he means.

The answer is they are not actually the same book... but they are both meant to convey the same thing. One takes a more visual-based approach. The original version will be more descriptive and explain more about the theory (you probably get a better, deeper education as a result.)
Thanks for the heads up about look inside/preview. I missed that (albeit looking from my cell phone probably means I don't actually have that option.

Regardless, the info you gave is more of what I'm asking. Whats the real difference, and is one book "weaker" than the other. I believe I will stick to the 2007 version for now.

Thanks for the responses y'all

So which book are we talking about? The Szarkowski or the newer one by Freeman that apparently uses almost the same title? They both seem to have had a 2007 edition. The Szarkowski would be worth reading.

The Freeman I hadn't looked at, and the preview was enough for me. If the Contents alone weren't enough for me to just put it back on the shelf so to speak, the first paragraph pretty much would do it. Although I read an entire page. Some people just seem to be good at marketing themselves.

From what I've ever understood the one by freeman is the one that so highly recommended, and the one I was looking at

I looked him up, seems to be an experienced and talented photographer, although of course that doesn't necessarily mean someone's also a great writer, good teacher, or whatever. He might be a good instructor, I don't think the style of writing is anything I could stay with. Or maybe just not for me.

From what I've ever understood the one by freeman is the one that so highly recommended, and the one I was looking at

I have that book, and since I've read it, would sell it as a lightly used book. Make me an offer via PM if you are interested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back