The Plan

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I've been a photographer for 3 years now and actively seeking employment in the photography world for the last 6 months.

I have big plans, but I need to start somewhere. I'm in the process of hammering out a business plan. I'm lucky that I know lots of talented people who are interested in joining this project and earning some money in there free time.

The basic idea is to setup a front, somewhere we are able to sell our ideas, products and services. Custom music, photographs, photography services, advertising via blogs and other such projects. Website design and SEO are also things we would offer. We can all agree the market is saturated with things like this, which is why we are looking to sell our selves as a very personal business, where the customer has optimum contact with the person who is managing that "job".

It will also be a place I can refer people to when they ask to see some of my work, as Flickr is not the greatest portfolio.

So why am I writing this, well I thought I would share the dream with you. But I also need a name, the original idea was "Wright Creative" but it is already in Company House.

How do you feel about "Wright Service Productions" WSP for short?

The only employment in the photography world in the UK presently is either medical or forensic, forensic requires a HND and medical (depending on the field) requires a degree or if your a member of the BIPP or MPA I think they have some training or course which needs to be done then you still have to do the degree while on the job, if, you get one.

The only other way forward, depending on whether you have a studio or not is to knock on doors with a very strong portfolio, become a sole trader and do a lot of marketing/networking or second shoot/assist.

Photography is the easy part and the jobs don't exist anymore, so unless your lucky, reasonably well off, have great contacts in the industry and are prepared for a lot of time and effort on your part, with little money, there's no chance.

Businesses need funding, there are grants etc but aren't much good to you without customers, I suggest you do a lot of legwork in person to those who you think will be your target audience and get some feedback, dress well etc, as meetings are much like interviews and first impressions count. good luck. H

PS. Looking at your stuff, facebook drinking fund etc I reckon you have a way to go before calling yourself a photographer, taking a few snaps of your other hobbies isn't going to impress potential clients, I've taken photographs since my first SLR 30+ years ago, I became a photographer in 1996 with my first paid commission, and, still knew nothing really, try walking before you run with this, the majority of businesses go under during year 1.

Last edited:
Of course there are plenty of things to get round to be done, its a long process making yourself look, sound professional. I'm far from it yet. This is just the start, I'm not looking at this not as a full time business, its something for the weekends and days off. Its a huge amount of work I understand, but a bit of extra money in pocket is always nice.

And so you spend a 100 on becoming a LTD and then 45 for hosting your website buying a domain, a extra 100 on getting a portfolio printed, cards and so on it adds up.

But the rewards not only mentally in experience but also to my CV are I believe worth it.

Bouncing ideas, off those who are experienced in the field is a great way of getting information and so for your input I thank you

The best advice I will give you is not to spend anything unless its absolutely necessary, don't be printing anything for a portfolio which isn't directly related to a target business and get legal/financial advice on whether to set up a LTD co or become a sole trader, too much bookwork for LTD plus I don't think you'll be clever enough to remove company funds without getting yourself in a mess with the authorities, sole trader, pay little to no tax for 3 years, setup grants/loans available and simple book-keeping will keep the revenue and other government agencies off your case. H

Last edited:
Of course there are plenty of things to get round to be done, its a long process making yourself look, sound professional. I'm far from it yet. This is just the start, I'm not looking at this not as a full time business, its something for the weekends and days off. Its a huge amount of work I understand, but a bit of extra money in pocket is always nice.

And so you spend a 100 on becoming a LTD and then 45 for hosting your website buying a domain, a extra 100 on getting a portfolio printed, cards and so on it adds up.

But the rewards not only mentally in experience but also to my CV are I believe worth it.

Bouncing ideas, off those who are experienced in the field is a great way of getting information and so for your input I thank you

Event photography would be your best bet, sports, balls,birthdays printing on site with a dye sub printer

Thanks Gsgary, I currently work freelance for equestrian and rowing events.

Its something I really enjoy, and I am in the process of organizing some event photography in September at a local Rugby event as a start and I intend on getting several more events into my calendar.

yeah,i agree with flash harry

now that is unusual:lol:

Yes he is, check out his site. I've ordered some books and chatting to some people about the logistics of running a business.

So far I think your comments have been a tad harsh.

If you like easy then business is not for you. This business requires a lot of cash, if you aren't making it you will go under. I say it as I see it, an honest opinion nothing more. H

Most reactions

Back