The Poles = Aliens ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by mentos_007, Sep 9, 2004.

1. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey! Yesterday I watched a "Keeping up appereances" English series. And the whole plot was about that Rose was engaged to the Pole. Actually... noone could spell his surname (I know it's hard :p) but during almost all serie I heard a loud laugh in the background and I didn't understand why :p

Maybe you have some jokes about Poles? Please write them here even though they are offensive :p I just want to know how you see us, or what is a stereotype of Poles in your countries :)

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

mentos,

i think the big joke in the states is that the poles are stupid or less intelligent. also, ithink the poles have a bad rep because they were invaded so easily by germany during the start of the second world war.

hope that helps

md

3. santino

santino TPF Noob!

just stereotypes....
    Poland fought to the end, France for example surrendered.
    I don't take no offense :D

4. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Most Polish jokes I hear in the US come for Polish Americans

5. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Laugh tracks in the background of sitcoms (American or British) have a tendency to laugh at very un-funny things- you're concern being one. The show is out-dated and most sterotypes today seem to be aimed at southerners from America.:D

6. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    but finally we have a free country after 123 years of thralldom :D

7. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Being born in the UK and living well over thirty years there I remember that the Poles were very well thought of, some of that might have been guilt from the way Chamberlain let them down but more probably because of the superb and brave way the Polish army and air force units fought with the UK.
    Possibly the Poles that made it to the UK before Hitler over ran them were also more like the aristocracy and had the smarts and money to get out before it was too late.
    Incidentally, the Brits find any unusual name "funny" so that was probably what the giggles were about in the TV show you watched.
    In the US the Poles that emigrated here were like the majority of the migrants that came and were forced here by poverty and lack of opportunity in their own country so were comparatively uneducated.
    Most migrant races to the US have had their turn at being the butt of the jokes.
    In England it's the Irish that get picked on but my guess it's because most of the Irish that worked in England were employed as laborers so again were comparatively uneducated.

8. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

I'm in the UK, sometimes i am pretty much ashamed of some of the shows that come out of this country and 'keeping up appearences' is one of them. I don't find it funny in the slightest and 'canned' laughter is one of my pet hates. Its a poor way of telling us when we should laugh and i find it quite patronising.
    Sorry. I'm not having a good day today.

oh yeah, and i think the stereotype is pretty much what MD said.. that Poland was so easily invaded in the war and you all have funny sounding surnames.
    I hate stereotypes too.

9. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    sometimes here we laugh from our surnames :)

10. Scott WRG Editor

Scott WRG Editor King of Smoothness

I have nothing but respect for Poland. Yes they did get invaded by Germany and lost relatively quickly but as a history buff I know it was far from easy for the Nazis. The Poles fought against rediculas odds with obsolete equipment. Thier air force downed scores of German aircraft and showed a skill level that would come back to haunt the Luftwaffe in the Battle Of Britain. The Poles fighting in the Royal Air Force comprised less that 5% of the fighter strength of the RAF but downed nearly 10% of the German aircraft lost that Summer. (and the sad part is when the Brits put up a monument honoring the Battle Of Britain veterans they initially left off ALL the Poles.)

The Polish military and government never quite fighting and the Polish population caused numerous losses on the German army throughout the entire war.

I have nothing but respect for the Poles and I'm especially glad that they are finally in charge of thier own destiny.

And as someone already pointed out, based solely on thier military prowess, France is far more worthy of being the butt of jokes.

ie. The new multi-function French Army knife has several new features including a corkscrew, a cheese knife and a white flag that automatically deploys at the sound of gunfire.

Keep in mind that France's most effective military unit is made up of foreigners and that during the thier involvement in Vietnam the most common language spoken in thier formations besides French was German (ever wondered where the German SS soldiers went?)

As you can see this is a pet peeve of mine.

11. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One more thing to be added here. It all started in Poland, I mean the fall of the Communism Soviet style. Lech Walesa started an avalanche of freedom that could not be stopped by the Soviets. Eventually everyone joined in. Thus, all my respect for the courageous Poles, even if sometimes we poke fun at them.

:headbang: :cheers: Nazdrovie!