The Popcorn Cake

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my son loves to go to the movies, and my wife loves to bake and create cakes.

Here's what she decided to do for his birthday. Since it's a photography forum, I tried to get some good shots that you'd appreciate.

The "popcorn" is mini marshmallows with the tops cut and yellow food coloring sprayed on them. For the mini bowls of popcorn, she baked a sheet cake and used biscuit cutters to cut out small cakes.

11_22_2008_4491.jpg

11_22_2008_4490.jpg

11_22_2008_4489.jpg

11_22_2008_4487.jpg

11_22_2008_4492.jpg

Awesome idea!! That is really cute! Pictures turned out great too!!

Sorry, nothing here in my comment photography related.....

Tell your wife that those are freakin awesome!

My wife also does the kid's birthday cakes. She's creative, but doesn't have the time to spend on the fine details such as this. Each year, one girl gets a fancy bought cake and the other gets a homemade cake. They rotate year to year.

LOL! I love it! I just ate and you made me hungry again :) -- pretty creative baking.

Thanks for the nice comments. You guys made her day.

Kudos to your wife - very creative project.

The first pic makes me think you live in an old house. The open paneled door on the right has through tenons & the passage hardware has ceramic knobs.

Kudos to your wife - very creative project.

The first pic makes me think you live in an old house. The open paneled door on the right has through tenons & the passage hardware has ceramic knobs.

Very astute, Ron. Our house was built in 1869, and there are those ceramic door knobs all over the place. There are also 2 stair cases-the main, nice one, and the one that is behind a door that looks like a closet door in the back part of the house.. I've never seen that before. In fact, the door in the left background is the second staircase. It's kind of blown out, but you can see it.

(What are through tenons?)

(What are through tenons?)

This link will explane it:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/Tending-to-Mortise-and-Tenon-Joints.id-2325.html

The edge of your door exposes the tenons. In times past without the advantage of modern adhesives one had to rely on the mechanical strength of wood joinery.

Below is a pic of the door I made for my office with blind tenons, you do not see them in the door edge.

I love to explore old houses & admire the workmanship of our forefathers when quality was not just a word in advertising.

22-02.jpg

Ron, that's a gorgeous, solid door. You're clearly talented..

(How do you cut a rectangle hole?)

Last edited:
We just did the singing and blowing out the candles thing:

11_22_2008_4526.jpg

11_22_2008_4534.jpg

The popcorn cake is so creative! Well done. And I'm sure your son will long remember the effort and love that went into designing/making that cake for him. (I still remember the 'castle' cake my mom made, complete with turrets, when I was seven. Which was a loooong time ago). Thanks for sharing the pics with us

And to get such nice comments from a poster with 13,687 posts, I'm honored.... Thank you.

On my site there is a thread called, "My Wife's Cakes.." Please look if you're interested. Thanks. I'm very proud of her.

Last edited:
And to get such nice comments from a poster with 13,687 posts, I'm honored.... Thank you.
(Don't be impressed - I just spend waaaaaaay too much time here! :lmao: )

On my site there is a thread called, "My Wife's Cakes.." Please look if you're interested. Thanks. I'm very proud of her.
Those cakes are amazing!

Most reactions

Back