The PREDATOR *** NSFW ***

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wild-wildlife

-edit-

now if i were one of those (a meerkat?) .... and i had to fight this guy.... where would i hit him first?..... hmmmmm

That reminds me of this one, I wonder if that is what spawned this one :lol:

squirrel.jpg

Thanks for the comments Chris, Archangel and Julz,

My brazen little paw-wringing acquaintance is a Mojave antelope squirrel at Black Rock campground in Joshua Tree National Park, Ca. He exposed himself when I opened a bag of corn chips at a lunch during a class.

That reminds me of this one, I wonder if that is what spawned this one :lol:

squirrel.jpg

It appears as if the adaptation is succeeding. :)

My brazen little paw-wringing acquaintance is a Mojave antelope squirrel at Black Rock campground in Joshua Tree National Park, Ca. quote]

This looks like our Ground Squirrel....does he also fold his tail over his head for shelter?

My brazen little paw-wringing acquaintance is a Mojave antelope squirrel at Black Rock campground in Joshua Tree National Park, Ca.

This looks like our Ground Squirrel....does he also fold his tail over his head for shelter?

The tail isn't quite long enough, although it does fold over the back.

This shot is not so good:
Antelope ground squirrel

It is a ground squirrel and diurnal, the only one active during the day around here. The curling tail does look like it affords some protection from the sun.

The tail isn't quite long enough, although it does fold over the back.
Thanks for this info. I like to compare animal behaviour.

I do too. Interesting how this appears to be common behavior between squirrels (I checked out the ground squirrel photos on your site). You know of any way to tell how far apart genetically these species are?

No sorry, I do not know. It would be interesting to know though. I do not think that there would be a comparison anywhere.

This is my first attempt at breaking down something like this, but here goes;
Obviously, the two animals are related, the separation between them starts at the Tribal level of the Subfamily level Xerinae of Family Sciuridae

Taxonomies:

Subfamily Xerinae (marmots, ground squirrels, African squirrels, and relatives)
Tribe Marmotini (marmots, chipmunks, ground squirrels, and relatives)
Genus Ammospermophilus (antelope-squirrels)
Species Ammospermophilus leucurus (white-tailed antelope squirrel)

& then

Subfamily Xerinae (marmots, ground squirrels, African squirrels, and relatives)
Tribe Xerini (African ground squirrels)
Genus Xerus (African ground squirrels)
Species Xerus inauris (South African ground squirrel)

I suppose they are as close as transcontinental cousins can be without being an introduced species.

Interesting behavior. I'd also think they would fill the same ecological niche, eating similar foods and being food for snakes, birds and medium-sized predatory mammals (canids)?

Hey, 1JP, where did you photograph your emboldened beast? Anymore info?

This is fun for me. Drool- but I got to go nap now.

I suppose they are as close as transcontinental cousins can be without being an introduced species.

Interesting behavior. I'd also think they would fill the same ecological niche, eating similar foods and being food for snakes, birds and medium-sized predatory mammals (canids)?
Extremely interesting....thanks for taking the time to look this up. Yes, they are preyed upon here mostly by eagles and jackals. Also their food is similar as they both live in the desert areas, and are only active during the day. Interesting little creatures and I can watch them for hours.:)

Extremely interesting....thanks for taking the time to look this up. Yes, they are preyed upon here mostly by eagles and jackals. Also their food is similar as they both live in the desert areas, and are only active during the day. Interesting little creatures and I can watch them for hours.:)

I enjoy digging around in the bio-technical muck, thanks for bringing up the similarities. Antelope squirrels are quite the daring little comedians here. There's one picnic site where they will run up to your feet, look around and run away. No crumb escapes them. Quite competitive. The truly wild ones will have nothing to do with man and scatter and disappear quickly.

Heh- Thought I had something a bit out of the ordinary, but can see it's typical behavior. Another thing I found interesting is that they are another step away from meercats, which I first associated with this type of immodest, yet critical stance.

I guess I learn something everyday, like it or not. Glad I enjoyed today's lesson. Last week's lesson about camping in a mosquito infested area, not so much.

Most reactions

Back