The Problem I Have With Camera Bags

photoboy2005

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Camera bags are a serious inconvenience, but as a prime shooter they are a necessary evil. Over the years I have tried many setups including both backpacks and shoulder bags. But, being a student, I find myself running low on room for other everyday items. I am currently using a Maxpedition Mongo versipack. This bag is fantastic, but it doesn't have photographers in mind.

I am looking for some help. I am looking for a new shoulder bag and could use some recommendations. Here is a list of the things I normally carry everyday:

1 camera body with a standard prime attached.
1 - 2 other prime lenses, maybe a 60mm macro and 85mm 1.8
1 - 2 note books
phone charger
headphones
2 flash drives
calculator
pen and pencil pouch
7 inch metal ruler
business card holder
A large flashlight
compass
Sunglasses

Because of this, non-conventional bags seem to be the way to go. However; if you are aware of a camera bag that will support this system, feel free to let me know.

That seems like very little. This is the shoulder bag I use (when I use one), and it would swallow that lot up and not even notice it. Check out Lowepro's line of shoulder bags, if there isn't something there, you're being too fussy! ;)
I'm am trying to stay away from lowepro and tamrac. I've given them too much money over the years. For some reason they don't work for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

on another note. In general I used to carry a large multi D cell flashlight around.
I've since replaced it with a small 3xAAA high intensity LED flashlight which projects much further, is much brighter and fits in the palm of my hand. In short, you may want to look at other flashlights to save weight and size if one fits your requirements.

on another note. In general I used to carry a large multi D cell flashlight around.
I've since replaced it with a small 3xAAA high intensity LED flashlight which projects much further, is much brighter and fits in the palm of my hand. In short, you may want to look at other flashlights to save weight and size if one fits your requirements.
Yeah, but it's wayyyy harder to beat people with a small LED flashlight... gimmee my 5 'D' cell Maglite every time! :lol:

I'm a flash light collector. The light is carry is an olight sr51. It's 1200 lumans and has a half a click throw. It's also really handy for constant lighting if you bounce it off a ceilng.

Yeah, but it's wayyyy harder to beat people with a small LED flashlight... gimmee my 5 'D' cell Maglite every time! [emoji38]
I keep a steel bar in my truck for that sort of thing.

That seems like very little. This is the shoulder bag I use (when I use one), and it would swallow that lot up and not even notice it. Check out Lowepro's line of shoulder bags, if there isn't something there, you're being too fussy! ;)
I'm am trying to stay away from lowepro and tamrac. I've given them too much money over the years. For some reason they don't work for me.
Do you mind expanding on why you're staying away from them? That might help the search for a bag/brand that would work for you.

Do you mind expanding on why you're staying away from them? That might help the search for a bag/brand that would work for you.
Well, they are just fitted to hold cameras. Carrying anything else is a problem. It's Hard to put a text book in a camera bag. And I rely more on a bag now for my Everyday carry than I ever have. So for me camera gear is only about 25% of what the bag is for. And tamrac and lowepro don't really get that.

I don't know if you tried this, but if you bought Camera Lens pouches for each lens it could help find a more versatile general bag. You could put the flashlight in one of them.

Don't have this bag but I product from Peak Design and love their stuff. The photog that helped them design this wanted it to be a catch all.

Bags - Product
Yeah. It's on the list of maybes.

I don't know if you tried this, but if you bought Camera Lens pouches for each lens it could help find a more versatile general bag. You could put the flashlight in one of them.
Yeah. That's what I'm doing right now. I have even thought of getting an insert.

Don't forget you can get many bags second hand - so some top brand names can be a little cheaper bought that way. Got my large manfrotto shoulder-bag that way and came in great condition!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back