The Problem I Have With Camera Bags

Don't forget you can get many bags second hand - so some top brand names can be a little cheaper bought that way. Got my large manfrotto shoulder-bag that way and came in great condition!
I always try to find things second hand. There is no reason not too. For the most part people take care of the photography gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I know what you mean with Lowpro and Tamrac, have too many things from them. However the bag I use for travel right now is a Tamrac Aero 80 backpack as I wanted something that would fit my 13" MBP and camera body with lens and two additional lenses, plus a fair amount of travel stuff in its own area (and fit in the overhead bin of the ATR planes). I tried out about 10 bags at the camera store without considering make or price and the tamrac just was the best of what I found that day. They have changed around their entire lineup, what I have is similar in size to their new Corona 26 bag.

I know what you mean with Lowpro and Tamrac, have too many things from them. However the bag I use for travel right now is a Tamrac Aero 80 backpack as I wanted something that would fit my 13" MBP and camera body with lens and two additional lenses, plus a fair amount of travel stuff in its own area (and fit in the overhead bin of the ATR planes). I tried out about 10 bags at the camera store without considering make or price and the tamrac just was the best of what I found that day. They have changed around their entire lineup, what I have is similar in size to their new Corona 26 bag.
Yeah, I have the old 8x back pack

I've been shooting out of a Domke messenger-style bag for a couple of years now. I usually carry one camera with in-built grip, a second half-height body, a 70-200 or a 70-300, 85/1.8, and another two small primes with the rear lens caps taped back-to-back, so that two smaller primes become "one" as far as loading/unloading into the bag. Classic Nikon rear lens caps have interlocking lugs on them, so they lock together really tightly with just a couple wraps of even masking tape. This is a nice bag for carrying spiral bound notebooks or magazines, or a notebook computer or iPad. Something sort of like the F-803, but with two expandable cargo pockets on the front outside, which are closed by the top flap.

This is kind of funny as for a long time I struggled with finding a camera bag that I was actually happy with. I actually tried a few variations ranging from back packs to something that resembles pull behind luggage...I was never happy with any of it. In my case, I lucked out...I actually found "the perfect" camera bag at a thrift store...for a whopping $3.. that I still use to this very day. I really have no clue what "brand" it is (let alone any notion of a specific "model"), only that I spotted it on a shelf, thought it would suit my own needs...and that it has served me VERY well over the last decade or so. It's a fairly simple over-the-shoulder bag that holds a body with a lens attached, 2 - 3 additional lenses (depending on size/focal length), it has a fold out pouch on the front for a few accessories (I usually keep my polarizer in there with a few spare memory cards, lens cap or 3, lens hood, etc) and another velcro'd pouch on the back that's great for a small lens rag and a manual or two....really ideal. I -know- it's actually a pretty old camera bag as it has elastic loops on the shoulder strap for holding rolls of 35mm film! LOL!

I will say that when I'm out and about, I do try to limit what I drag around with me. Lenses for example...in most cases I really don't need to drag 8 camera lenses around with me (and when I do, I'll just leave the extras in the car). I think about what I'm gonna be shooting ahead of time and simply take the gear I know I'm gonna need. There was a time when yea...I'd go out and drag ALL my crap with me. The mentality was "better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it", however I found that can get rather tedious and labor intensive to say the least! I'd walk around at, say a zoo for 5 or 6 hours and after dragging all my crap around all day, yea...I'd be totally wrecked by the time I got home. No fun at all! Now I (try to) plan ahead and take ONLY what I really need...no sense in killing myself just to take a few pics :).

That said, I have to agree with tirediron's initial comment there in that it doesn't sound like you're really carrying THAT much at all...I've seen folks who actually drag small foot lockers around with them (at least on serious shoots). My advice would be to worry less about "brands" or specifics and just browse around at a few camera shops or even a few department stores and find something that suits your own needs. Just my own opinion, but I don't think this is something I would really buy off the internet...much like a woman's purse, to me it's something that would need to "feel right"...and that would require a hand's on evaluation, so any specific brands and such would be totally irrelevant.

Just my own opinions.

This is kind of funny as for a long time I struggled with finding a camera bag that I was actually happy with. I actually tried a few variations ranging from back packs to something that resembles pull behind luggage...I was never happy with any of it. In my case, I lucked out...I actually found "the perfect" camera bag at a thrift store...for a whopping $3.. that I still use to this very day. I really have no clue what "brand" it is (let alone any notion of a specific "model"), only that I spotted it on a shelf, thought it would suit my own needs...and that it has served me VERY well over the last decade or so. It's a fairly simple over-the-shoulder bag that holds a body with a lens attached, 2 - 3 additional lenses (depending on size/focal length), it has a fold out pouch on the front for a few accessories (I usually keep my polarizer in there with a few spare memory cards, lens cap or 3, lens hood, etc) and another velcro'd pouch on the back that's great for a small lens rag and a manual or two....really ideal. I -know- it's actually a pretty old camera bag as it has elastic loops on the shoulder strap for holding rolls of 35mm film! LOL!

I will say that when I'm out and about, I do try to limit what I drag around with me. Lenses for example...in most cases I really don't need to drag 8 camera lenses around with me (and when I do, I'll just leave the extras in the car). I think about what I'm gonna be shooting ahead of time and simply take the gear I know I'm gonna need. There was a time when yea...I'd go out and drag ALL my crap with me. The mentality was "better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it", however I found that can get rather tedious and labor intensive to say the least! I'd walk around at, say a zoo for 5 or 6 hours and after dragging all my crap around all day, yea...I'd be totally wrecked by the time I got home. No fun at all! Now I (try to) plan ahead and take ONLY what I really need...no sense in killing myself just to take a few pics :).

That said, I have to agree with tirediron's initial comment there in that it doesn't sound like you're really carrying THAT much at all...I've seen folks who actually drag small foot lockers around with them (at least on serious shoots). My advice would be to worry less about "brands" or specifics and just browse around at a few camera shops or even a few department stores and find something that suits your own needs. Just my own opinion, but I don't think this is something I would really buy off the internet...much like a woman's purse, to me it's something that would need to "feel right"...and that would require a hand's on evaluation, so any specific brands and such would be totally irrelevant.

Just my own opinions.
4d003bf797221d4a56dddd46451bd913.jpg

Don't hate on film. Also, I think I may have found a solution. I don't know how well it's going to work, but I'm going to try it.

I actually use a NRA Bag for my telescope stuff. It has plenty of room. The side pockets are deep to accommodate multiple items. Sturdy material, opens wide open. Glasses pocket, water bottle pocket and several inserts for other "tools" and it holds a notepad just fine too. And all these loops which could hold film too ==> NRA Pro Range Bag

(it's on sale I see, I might go buy a 3rd one for various stuff.)

If I didn't have a large size camera bag to hold all my gear this one would be perfect for it with lens pouches.

Last edited:
Don't hate on film.

Film...been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...and the t-shirt no longer fits and has long since been eaten away by moths in the back of the closet (LOL!!!).

Not really hating on film specifically...I grew up shooting film. In my earliest years I shot 110 and 120 and later A LOT of 35mm (once, long ago, I had a great affection for Fuji Velvia). That said, I do think that today film is VERY much out of date...for myself at least. In this case I would liken it to my experience as a musician...I also grew up with recording on old reel-to-reels and even analog multi-track cassettes. I do very much remember the days when "editing" involved sitting there with a razor blade and a roll of scotch tape. Today I use Calkwalk's Sonar on a computer - I will NEVER go back to analog.

I don't hate film...it's very much a part of my history...however for myself, I also see no point in going backwards either.

In any case, good luck with your solution...I hope it works for you!

Don't hate on film.

Film...been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...and the t-shirt no longer fits and has long since been eaten away by moths in the back of the closet (LOL!!!).

Not really hating on film specifically...I grew up shooting film. In my earliest years I shot 110 and 120 and later A LOT of 35mm (once, long ago, I had a great affection for Fuji Velvia). That said, I do think that today film is VERY much out of date...for myself at least. In this case I would liken it to my experience as a musician...I also grew up with recording on old reel-to-reels and even analog multi-track cassettes. I do very much remember the days when "editing" involved sitting there with a razor blade and a roll of scotch tape. Today I use Calkwalk's Sonar on a computer - I will NEVER go back to analog.

I don't hate film...it's very much a part of my history...however for myself, I also see no point in going backwards either.

In any case, good luck with your solution...I hope it works for you!
Too each his own.

If you buy a Billingham bag, you're required to wear mobster spats whenever you use it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back