The problem with manual lenses - -

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ron Evers, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    - is camera shake. I was out this morning shooting Monarch butterflys & the light was poor due to haze. I had my ISO set @ 200 & was working with a Sears 135/2.8 set to f3.5. Although there were numerous bflys about I had great difficulty getting close enough to any for a good shot so had to shoot hand held until I found one not so skittish.

The following three shots demonstrate how camera shake can spoil the sharpness of an image even when accurately focused.

1. Hand held 1/30s

[​IMG]

2. Hand held 1/80s

[​IMG]

3. Tripod 1/50s

[​IMG]

See how much sharper this last shot is over the hand held ones.

2. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Ron, nice shots! Yours are probably better than I can manage under the circumstances, but I have a photo buddy who shoots with a 180mm macro with a ring-flash, and he's able to get some stunning shots. The challenge, of course, is the very shallow DOF, and nailing the focus on the desired animal part - so he takes lots of shots and some of them are sharp in the right places. Recently, he also got a 400mm lens and he has fitted extension tubes to this and has been again testing his "macro" capabilities. I don't think the ring flash fits around the 400mm, so I don't yet know how he handles the lighting situation. It ain't easy when you're in the field!

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    True, but if I were you, I'd be darn happy to be able to hand-hold a big old metal-barreled 135 at 1/30 and get that good a result!

4. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have an old Nikkor 200mm f/4 manual focus and aperture lens. Mounting it on the new Canon with no split prism makes for a very difficult platform to get proper focus on. I can definitely appreciate your pictures because I know just how difficult it is to pull this off..

5. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can still use live view mode with a manual lens (at least I think you can...?). I'd recommend that when trying to achieve sharp focus.

6. DanEitreim

DanEitreim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like your Monarch photos. I'd be thrilled to be able to handhold my camera and get photos that sharp.

7. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I was fully expecting someone to say up your ISO.

Well, I like to control noise & am a bit confident (read stubborn) in controlling camera motion blur which these photos disprove.

Ideally I would have been using a shutter speed of 1/200 with this 135mm lens but that would put my camera in a potential area for noise.

Working with old glass is not for everyone but I like the challenge as it takes me back to my late teens (50s) & a Minolta SLR.