The Race For Gear and Other Musings...

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought my first DSLR in February of this year, a Nikon D40. It came with two lenses: 18-55, 55-200 (non-vr).

By April, I gave my D40 to my sister and upgraded to a D90 with the following gear I had accumulated up to that point:
Nikon 100mm AIS-E 2.5
Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF-D
Sigma 18-50mm 2.8
Sigma 70-300
SB-600
Decent Tripod & Ball Head
UV and CP Filter for each lens
Lowepro Compu-Day-Trekker-Pak-Hauler Camera bag (that I NEVER use :lol:)
PSE7
Memory Cards
Battery Grip
Batteries
10 photography books (including Peterson, McNally, and Kelby).
Who knows what else...

If I had never found TPF, I would have remained blissfully ignorant of all this neat gear. I BLAME Y'ALL!!!!! :lmao::banghead::lmao:

I got all of this gear just in time for the blistering heat of South Louisiana's Summer(I work outside). Combine that with a healthy case of depression (didn't know it then), and I took virtually zero photographs between June and September. I was really not much more advanced than the day I bought the D40.

Once September hit, college football season awakened me from my stupor, and got the juices flowing. I've probably clicked the shutter 10,000 times since September 1. I've learned more in the last 6 weeks than the intervening six months.

I just bought a Sigma 70-200 2.8(which is AWESOME, by the way--I think I got a good copy, and we all know about Sigmas).

NOW, for the first time since February, I am not really dying for a new lens, or gadget, or SB-Whatever. I have no desire to get a D300s, or D700, etc. etc. I don't NEED the "trinity." I think I finally feel free to work on--GOD FORBID--my photography.

I don't think I'm alone in this. I'm sure a lot of you on here started off with the attitude,"If only I had such and such lens, or this strobist kit, my pictures will be perfect."

So let me start by saying:

"My name is Lucky. I suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome."

It took me 8 months to admit it. How long did it take YOU?

Took me about two months, lol. I went from a D40 to a D80, dropped my two kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200) for a Tokina 12-24, 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma 70-200 2.8. I already new it was bad, but then I switched to Canon and shot on a 5D and a 20D for a year or year and a half and had a decent pile of spendy L glass. I had to sell everything but a Nikon FG20 when I lost my job, and now I'm in the market for gear again. I'll probably go back to Nikon and I'm already planning my lens line up, lol. I do have different priorities this time around though.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back