KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's way easier shooting people! :camera: Sheesh!

PadBArtSquare8-3-10D300A_0009.jpg

That's pretty cool!

That's pretty cool!
Thanks!

Eight sheets of medium weight sketch pad paper, acid-free, lignin-free. One Nikon SB-600 speedlight. 6 thumbtacks. One 20oz Diet Mountain Dew.

The 50 sheet pad cost me $4.72 + tax at Wally World.

Last edited:
Very creative......nice job!

Keith
I love the treatment of this image. I am not really sure how you got all of the sheets of paper to fall that way, but is sure is a great image to view.

What made you think of this project?

^^^ I think that's what the thumbtacks were for.

What I can't figure out is that top page, which seems to be intersecting the page beneath it...

It looks like the light position is such that the taller last page is casting a shadow, but part of the light has shown on the right hand side of the second sheet of paper..........

I conceived the project several months ago but it had a low priority. It finally moved far enough up the list that I finally added the sketchpad to my shopping list. The pad sat around the studio for 4 more weeks before I did the first setup. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/212119-tubularcongruence.html

Camera right, you are seeing the underside of the top sheet of paper. It's the only sheet that reveals it's underside.

Yep, 3 thumbtacks on each side, are holding the sheets in place.

I used a piece of white foamboard as a base to thumbtack the sheets of paper to. The bottom sheet is flat and is there just for it's texture. It's all sitting on a small round table I use to shoot small products.

The background is Thunder Gray seamless paper. Camera left is a large, bare, north facing window and camera right is a 42", round, black 5-in-1 to subtract light.

I used a Nikon D300, with a Nikon AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D lens set to 35mm and in Macro mode. The lens was on a tripod with the front of the lens about 6 inches from the front of the setup.
The camera settings were: f/16 - 1/160 - ISO 200.

The SB-600 was in manual mode set to 14 mm zoom, had the wide angle diffuser down, and a blue gel on it. The power was set to 1/64 and the light was pointing towards the camera. I used eBay iShoot radio triggers (Seller: lilyrst) PT-04 C Radio Wireless Remote Double-Flash Trigger?3Rx - eBay (item 280402884186 end time Aug-24-10 01:50:11 PDT)

The original was a RAW file post processed using ACR 6.1 and CS 5. I duplicated the background layer and then made a new, blank layer from it. I filled the new blank layer with 50% gray. This new layer was for dodging and burning.
I then made a Curves Adjustment layer, a Black & White Adjustment layer, flipped the image 180 degrees (right to left), did my dodging and burning, straightened the 'horizon', did my final crop, made a final Exposure Adjustment layer, and added the borders.

Here is the original image:
PadArtC8-3-10D300A_0009.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I now understand the method. I really like it. If I had to make a choice between the negative or the blue rendition, I would choose the negative one.
Great Job!

I like the original, blue-hued shot also....

But I am intrigued--how does the 20 ounce Diet Mountain Dew figure into the equation?

I know you're an experienced photographer KmH, so your opinion matters to me. I'm considering buying either a 20 ounce screw-cap bottle of soda from a local vending machine,and wanted to know your opinion: is the 20 oz. Mountain Dew a better choice than the 20 oz. Coke Classic or the 20 oz. Orange Crush orange soda that they have at the bottom? The price is $1.25 from the vending machine, but I have seen some cut-price vending machines selling 12 ounce cans of Shasta-brand cola,root beer, various clear Un-cola type sodas, and orange sodas for 35 cents per can, which is significantly cheaper than the $1.25 for the name-brand, 20 oz. sodas.

My questions are: is it worth more for the name brand sodas in the bigger,screw-cap plastic bottles? Or are the smaller, open-only-once 12 oz. cans a better deal? Is it worth it to pay for the big name brands, or is Shasta as good as say, Orange Crush, or Coca~Cola? Which would be better at a wedding or for a portrait session? What about can versus bottle deposit? The bottle deposit is 10 cents, the can is 5 cents where I live: is this a significant factor, in your experience KmH? Is it safe to buy from a cut-rate, 3rd party soda pop vending machine, or is it usually better to buy from a well-known, "name brand" vending machine?

And also, what flavor or flavors would you suggest for daytime, hot-weather soda-drinking? I am tempted to go with the lower-cost, smaller 12 oz cans of Shasta soda, but am worried that people will think my soda is cheap--and so I am tempted to spend the extra to get the 20 oz, bottled, name brand soda. Your thoughts?

I now understand the method. I really like it. If I had to make a choice between the negative or the blue rendition, I would choose the negative one.
Great Job!
No negative, just a B&W version of the blue one, that got flipped.

The TubularCongruence shot is a negative though.

Most reactions

Back