The right beginner telephoto lens for my D3100

shezza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

The Nikon D3100 is actually dad's, but he is letting me borrow it to see if photography is my thing before I go all out myself. I started by looking for a telephoto lens. Naturally I bought too impulsively and bought the Nikon Camera Lens AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I had read it was a good entry level telephoto lens for bird photography. I failed to understand a basic thing about this camera. That being... It does not have motor and relies on the lens having the motor. Ok great, so I am returning the above mentioned lens and am pretty certain the one I should get is the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. I do not want to make a 2nd mistake, so I thought I would look to some people who know more than me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You will always need to buy AF-S lenses, once their autofocus motor are inside the lens. AF lenses need the motor in the camera body, which the D3100 lacks.

I'd focus on these options for your D3100, in that order:
  1. Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6G ED VR
  2. Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD (Nikon model)
  3. Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm f/4-5.6G VR
But you will need a sunny day to use them, once at 300mm they don't let much light in.

To double the amount of light in, at 300mm, I'd recommend this option (bought used): Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF.

Good luck!

70-300mm is a bit short for wildlife photography, an can be a bit short especially for birds unless you are confident you can get pretty close. I'd suggest considering a 2nd hand Sigma 150-500mm (as the prices have dropped dramatically due to the release of the 150-600mms) or a 2nd hand Tamron 150-600mm (which should drop in price as they have realeased a new version). They are not great in low light but the reach is fantastic.

I'd put the Tamron over the Nikon, and then move the 55-300 to like number 10 on a list of two.

or a 2nd hand Tamron 150-600mm (which should drop in price as they have realeased a new version).
Tell me about it... I just sold mine :(

Yeah mate I saw your post putting it up for sale. I have one too and I'm just planning to soldier on with it, it's a great focal length to have

You will always need to buy AF-S lenses, once their autofocus motor are inside the lens. AF lenses need the motor in the camera body, which the D3100 lacks.

I'd focus on these options for your D3100, in that order:
  1. Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6G ED VR
  2. Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD (Nikon model)
  3. Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm f/4-5.6G VR
But you will need a sunny day to use them, once at 300mm they don't let much light in.

To double the amount of light in, at 300mm, I'd recommend this option (bought used): Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF.

Good luck!
I'd recommend # 2 on that list
with his listed lenses I don't think the 300/4 would fit in his budget.

I have used the 70-300 AF-S VR model for years now and it is a nice size lens that is easy to carry around. This is not a bird photography lens. I have a number of bird shots, but it was just having the lens on the camera and being able to move in close to the bird.

That said, this is a good focal length to start out with for a telephoto.

I too would recommend the AF-S 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G VR.
But as mentioned for birding 300 mm is often has insufficient reach unless the photographer has excellent field skills or uses a blind and is able to get quite close to the subjects.

While the D3x00 and D5x00 Nikon cameras do not have an auto focus motor in the body, as long as the lens you're using has auto focus electronics (except a focus motor) in it, they do have a nice manual focusing aid called Rangefinder mode.
See page 144 of the D3100 Reference Manual that is on the software disc that came with the camera.

In Rangefinder mode the camera will show in the viewfinder what direction, and how much, you need to turn the focus ring on the lens to achieve focus. The camera will also turn on the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus has been achieved.

Naturally I bought too impulsively and bought the Nikon Camera Lens AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I had read it was a good entry level telephoto lens for bird photography. I failed to understand a basic thing about this camera. That being... It does not have motor and relies on the lens having the motor. Ok great, so I am returning the above mentioned lens...

you're still failing to understand what this means.

that lens has a focusing-motor built in, so no need to return it or use the rangefinder and manual focus [rofl]

Naturally I bought too impulsively and bought the Nikon Camera Lens AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I had read it was a good entry level telephoto lens for bird photography. I failed to understand a basic thing about this camera. That being... It does not have motor and relies on the lens having the motor. Ok great, so I am returning the above mentioned lens...

you're still failing to understand what this means.

that lens has a focusing-motor built in, so no need to return it or use the rangefinder and manual focus [rofl]
My understanding is that particular "G" lens does not have a focus motor built in. It's not an AF-S lens.
AF Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G from Nikon

Compact, surprisingly affordable telephoto zoom lens
Don’t let its price tag fool you—this easy-to-handle telephoto zoom lens delivers excellent images, especially when used with a tripod. Covering a versatile 70-300mm focal length range (105-450mm equivalent on DX-format cameras), it’s an excellent choice for most daylight telephoto subjects, from portraiture to wildlife, on Nikon DSLRs that have a built-in focusing motor. Bring the action closer with vivid, lifelike detail.

from B&H photo website
Nikon AF Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens 1928 B&H Photo Video

Autofocus is not supported by DSLRs lacking an autofocus motor, such as the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, and D5500 cameras, and the lens may be used with manual focus only. Be sure to check your camera's lens-compatibility information before selecting a new lens.

oh assumed the VR version which also says G. carry on. hard to keep track sometimes.

oh assumed the VR version which also says G. carry on. hard to keep track sometimes.
Yup, I looked at that lens before I got the contrast-issue-AFS G VR version

My recommendation would be to look for a good, used copy of a 70-300mm 4.5/5.6 Tamron with VC.

Yes, 300mm is going to be fairly limited for wildlife shots.. but a 50-150 or 150-500 Sigma is going to be a lot more expensive, and I believe you mentioned you were just borrowing the camera from your dad to see if you liked photography.

So I'd recommend starting small, then deciding if this is really a hobby you want to invest some money in. YMMV of course.

I'd get the Sigma 150-600 anyway and if you decide that photography is boring to you, give the lens to dad as a gift, he'll love it. If you like taking pictures, then it's a great investment for your start.

Most reactions

Back