The Right Film???

Sir Duke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I am going to shoot some nude portriats of a model who will be in makeup that makes her appear to be in black and white. (babypowder, black lipstick, nailpolish, ect.) There will also be a small sculpture lit by candlelight. The lighting on the subject will be dim, so the candles don't get washed out.

So, here is my question. I want to shoot on slide film because I will eventually use some of these photos for polaroid transfers. BUT, I don't know what film to use. I don't think that any 400 speed slide film is very good, because it gets so grainy. Should I just shoot with 100 or 200, and push it to 400. Should I just shoot with a higher speed regular film, and get anything that I am going to use transfered to slides. Any other suggestions. I am pretty new to this, so...

You want the model to be in B&W? You could shoot Scala slide film and be ready for those image transfers in a snap. ;)

Will you be using a Daylab? Be prepared to use some warming filtration to keep the B&W slides from being too cyan.

Hi Sir Duke, I am assuming you are going to shoot via tungsten light and that is why you prefer to use a 400 film and balance the light to the candles. Either way, definitely shoot on a tripod and as the model will be static. There is no reason why you can't shoot on a 100 film. I personally would be shooting on studio flash and either shooting via the modelling lights and adjusting the light intensity to balance to the candles, or fire via flash, but turn off the modelling lights and give a longer exposure for the candles. Pushing film can affect the colour balance and will affect the contrast, so I would be careful going down that road. Set your camera on delayed action and do a test shot of yourself prior to your main shoot and iron the problems out beforehand. Remember in photography, there are many ways to skin a cat and experiments are always beneficial. Good Luck,
Philip.

I want to shoot with color film, but the models makeup will make her look as if she is taked from a B&W photo. (that's the idea at least.) The sculpture has some bright colors on it, so I need the color film. I have never shot with that Scala before though. I would like to try.

I will be using a Daylab. I love it.

Thanks for the advice Philip!

If you want to shoot in color, then skip the Scala (B&W slide film) and try something like Fuji Provia 100 (I'd agree with the tungsten lighting and definitely use a tripod). That way, you'll have slides that are ready to go for the Daylab (and the image transfers).

Be prepared for some degree of color shift with an image/emulsion transfer - so much depends on your water type, temperature, etc. Sounds like a fun project; good luck with it! :)

Most reactions

Back