The sea

Jzero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ronunna.googlepages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to get a got shot of the winter sea. There isn’t much here by way of technique except that I took close to 100 pictures in order to get one or two that I feel reasonably satisfied with. The sea is a very ‘photogenic’ and picturesque sort of environment (especially in the winter), the only downside is that it has a tendency to indiscriminately spray salt water all over the place…

J

Dor_med4.jpg

Dorbeach.jpg

Tsk-tsk-tsk: THAT sea! *shakes head* ... splashing water everywhere, "indiscriminately", as you are saying, J. Dang. :wink. :wink:

You still got yourself a very nice photo here (#1), though it shows you were undecided on what you liked more: the nicely clouded sky or the water, so you placed the horizon line almost in the very middle of your frame, which I find --- well: not to be recommended in this sort of photography. You might want to consider cropping either the sky or some of the water ... though I would not suggest that.

Something funny happened to your second photo here. I guess you selectively brightened the rock in the foreground? It shows very much. The colour now are quite quite off. No wonder that rock came out almost black what with the white-white-white of the surf here!

Hi,

Always tricky getting those "rough" sea shots without drowning the camera in spray

I would have like to see the waves crashing onto the sandy beachy, some nice strong foreground - maybe taken from a lower perspective

The second shot looks a little flat - perhaps you could have used more of the rock in the bottom r/h corner to create added interest ?

just a few of my thoughts, please ignore them if you don't agree

simon

Thank you all for your valuable comments. Your opinions and input are very important to me because individually and collectively, you see things in these pictures that I do not see, and you point out various technicalities which is my main purpose for uploading these pictures here in the first place (besides having a natural tendency to flaunt my wares). I do not yet possess the knowledge or the experience required to see the flaws and the blemishes in my photographs (or anyone else’s for that matter), I am a novice trying to create a good photograph (or two..). A good photograph in my opinion, is one where the beholder looks and says to him/herself; “self! That is a good photograph!!!”

Tyson – Thanks! I’m glad you like the picture. I like water views as well, almost as much as I like old, beat-up and decrepit buildings J but that’s a different topic altogether…

La Foto – you give me much too much credit. I wasn’t undecided about the ratio of cloudy sky and water, I was too busy trying to avoid getting my camera and myself splashed (in that order)…

“Tsk-tsk-tsk: THAT sea! *shakes head* ... splashing water everywhere, "indiscriminately", as you are saying, J. Dang. :wink. ” <unquote>

So I was just clicking away and hoping something halfway decent would come out of it. Also, I did not selectively brighten the rock in the second picture, it selectively brightened itself…. But that is exactly the sort of detail that I do not notice so thank you for pointing it out to me.

Simonkit – Your suggestions and comments are most welcome, this is how I will learn and hopefully produce a better picture….. eventually.
Unfortunately the waves were not crashing onto the sandy beach. They were crashing onto the rocks where I was standing (did I mention all that spray?) so perhaps it is a matter of finding a suitable location and a Plexiglas shield, or maybe I’ll just stick to photographing old buildings, they don’t spit at you! J

J

I would love to have a full size shot of #1 for my desk top.

I can almost smell the salt water, I love the ocean!

Hello,

I think your first picture is really very very dark...:er: and clouds on the top of the picture are too white & blinding.
That why I do not consider this shot as great. But who took great shot first time ???

2nd one: nothing keep my attention on the picture, you should improve composition .

Hope you take my criticism cool & Keep on trying, it s the only way to improve

Mat

I would love to have a full size shot of #1 for my desk top.

I can almost smell the salt water, I love the ocean!

Tyson, you are welcome to download it and do what you will with it. I think the version presented here is as large as it gets... and thanks for the compliment!

J

Hello,

I think your first picture is really very very dark...:er: and clouds on the top of the picture are too white & blinding.
That why I do not consider this shot as great. But who took great shot first time ???

2nd one: nothing keep my attention on the picture, you should improve composition .

Hope you take my criticism cool & Keep on trying, it s the only way to improve

Mat

Thanks Mat. Your criticism is important and useful to me. I'll keep at it till I get it as near perfect as can reasonably be expected.

J

Most reactions

Back