The season is starting....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jajomo, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I love this picture first because I wish I would have had more memories like this captured in my youth...and secondly I just like the way it turned out..the chalk on the board..the chipping paint..the old bench...the fact that they didn't know I was taking it. Maybe I'm just being a sentimental mom. Input and thoughts are welcome...just don't pick on the husky kid in white..he's mine. :lol:

[​IMG]

2. Sbuxo

Sbuxo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would've liked it better if you didn't cut off the other kid's hands, maybe if you took a few steps back you could have gotten your son's legs too. So, I don't think the cropping works here, I also find that sign to the left: very distracting.
    But I do like the off-guardedness of the two boys.

3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jajomo

These shots are always sentimental - at least for the parents. I think it would have worked a little better as a portrait shot, eliminating the small very white sign to the left, and capturing more of the boys and the chalk board above them. In the future they may be interested in the chalk board info.

Since this is the beginning of the season, you have all season to 'practice'. Trying different angles, different crops, etc... This should be a really good learning experience. And I bet you get the whole range of emotions that occur at these events.

4. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Now that you point out the cropping I totally agree. I did try to clone out that sign...but that wood grain gave me some trouble. Thanks for the reply.

I wish I would have thought about getting more of the practice board. What a good idea...and remembering to turn my camera to portrait is not yet second nature to me...maybe I'll add a post-it on my camera like I do my computer to remind me of things....lol.

Thanks for the input and I am looking forward to learning to get some good emotional shots this year. I got my camera last year right at the beginning of baseball season and all I really focused on was.. "wow I can get clear action shots...look the ball is stopped in the frame".

5. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I totally understand what you are saying about the feeling of the image. I like it! You have some great advice already, good advice.

I can see how that wood grain would be hard. You might try simply cloning out the lettering. You could also try a "non-traditional" crop. Not for printing, but if you share your pics online with family you could always go with something different for displaying:

[​IMG]

EDIT TO ADD:
    Although, that eliminated the peeling paint :(

Maybe... but this places them pretty centered which is not always appropriate. Anyway, just thought I would try a couple things, I hope you don't mind.

[​IMG]

6. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love when anyone takes the time to edit my pictures....It is easier to see what they mean instead of trying to interpret what they wanted you to do. Thank you for taking the time.

This is my attempt at cloning out the sign..it seems to soft at the edge.
    [​IMG]

7. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is not all that noticeable on this size shot on my screen, as it is not the focal point of the photo.

8. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not bad! I agree with Pierre, my first thought was I wouldn't notice if I didn't know the sign was there before.

Cloning grain takes a lot of experience (I don't have it). Here's my attempt at modifying yours. I tried to make the cloned area a bit more random. I think it's something that needs a bit more time and care than I put into it.

[​IMG]

9. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My goal in baseball this year is to learn to capture more of the emotion of the game instead of the action....because when August comes around its my favorite time of year..FOOTBALL and I really want to improve buy then because that is where all of our heart and soul is in as a family. Thank you both again. :D

10. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

There are not a lot of photos of my childhood.
    The photos I have to look at, I focus mostly on the emotions of the moment captured. I think emotions for your son and other children are what they will see when they grow up.

11. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find the sign odd looking too, and I'd probably only keep it if there was some sentimental value to it. But anyway, if you decide to ditch it, this is how I'd do it, more or less. The key is to minimize any repetition and make sure to add any missing shadows (ie. on the chalkboard). I also adjusted some brightness levels.

[​IMG]

12. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The sign as no sentimental value..I just don't like the feel of the photo if I just crop it. Thanks for the cloning..it looks great.