The Shot That Never Happend

Akoz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday i was driving down to detroit to see the Redwings. while i was driving the sun was setting. This sunset is one like i have never seen befor. The sun was reflecting off the clouds to make a color prism. Even without the clouds and the sun making the color prism, this was one of the best sunsets i have seen. Saying all that i didnt bring my camera to snap the sunset. It was the shot that never happended.

I am curious to hear about other peoples shots the got away from them.

James.

You won't believe this, but I saw that same sunset. I live in Windsor and was on the EC Row expressway. It was the most amazing sunset I think I have ever seen.

Same issue...no camera

My shot that never happened...

I always drove past this old walking bridge, most of which was washed away in a flood years ago. Around 6:00 in the evening the light was always just perfect, but I was too tired from work/classes to stop and take a picture. About a month ago they took the remnants of the bridge down :(

Well once on a jobsite I went to the Porta-John and, saw a bob cat looking at me. It didnt even bolt when it saw me. After that I always carry my camera even when going to the bathroom on sites.

I saw it too driving down 94 on my way home from work by Ann Arbor. It made a nice deep orange spike pointing straight up. Pretty cool looking and I actually laughed to myself that I didn't have any kind of camera when I normally burden myself EVERYWHERE with at least two.

My shot that never happened...

I always drove past this old walking bridge, most of which was washed away in a flood years ago. Around 6:00 in the evening the light was always just perfect, but I was too tired from work/classes to stop and take a picture. About a month ago they took the remnants of the bridge down :(
I know all about that. We have (or should say had) an old iron single lane bridge going over the river, a beautiful old bridge. It had tons of character. The vehicle traffic flowed across on the bottom and at one time, the top had trains going across.

It's not quite "the one that never happened." Here is the bridge from 2003.

20030725Foxburgbridge12.jpg

This shot is from my old 2 mp Fuji 2650 point and shoot. Back then, I knew nothing about photography, composition, or exposure. I just rode a motorcycle and took the camera with me everywhere I went and took shots.

Now, I get myself a camera with manual controls and learn some stuff about photography and how to shoot manual, and I never get back down to that bridge before they blasted it into the river to put this big huge ugly concrete monster of a bridge in. Trees were ripped out, the scenery is all completely open now, and did I say the bridge is ugly?

There is so much I could have done with my camera knowing what I know now with that bridge. It kills me that I never bothered to get down there before they blew it into the river. It was only about 10 miles from my house. How's that for laziness...

So actually, it is the shot that never happened, or the shooting that never will happen now because I would have so much more to shoot with my knowledge now over my knowledge back in 2003.

Actually, I have to get down there maybe this weekend. It would make a good Before and After topic shooting from the same place.

I work in Camp Pendelton (USMC Base) CA. I have not really looked into it, but photography on the base is restricted. Certainly on the area I work at. At any rate photo opportunities are incredible. Everything from cool road signs like Tank Xing, Tire Shredding Device to amazing scenery with watchtowers and other strange structures. Especially during the magic hour.

The shot that got away... Mormons in traditional garb drinking Starbucks at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.

Love & Bass

mine was when i lived up in the suburbs, i worked at an insurance company on the tenth floor and on a clear day you could see the chicago skyline. i came in one morning to this awesome sunrise right behind chicago. as the morning progressed, it turned into this straight beam of orange light pointing directly at chicago, it was so amazing and i had no camera with me. for weeks after that i brought my camera in every day but never saw anything close to it again. :(

so you are telling me you can see the canadian sunset from the states?

Have you or anyone else in the area got a group together?

Yes, I am at most 25 miles from the border. At the time I was only a 20 minute drive from the Bridge/Tunnel to Windsor in Detriot.There is a thread about Michigan photographers here on the forum, but meet ups never seem to happen. If anyone throws together a Southeast MI./Windsor GTG, I'd be open to going.

Yes, I am at most 25 miles from the border. At the time I was only a 20 minute drive from the Bridge/Tunnel to Windsor in Detriot.There is a thread about Michigan photographers here on the forum, but meet ups never seem to happen. If anyone throws together a Southeast MI./Windsor GTG, I'd be open to going.

I was joking about seeing the sunset thing.
i am about a 1 1/2 hour drive from windsor but i would be up for the hike if it ever happend.

I was joking about seeing the sunset thing.
i am about a 1 1/2 hour drive from windsor but i would be up for the hike if it ever happend.

I'd also be interested in a meet. Maybe we can put something together for the spring.

Trick here is to get a volunteer to organize it...
well...anyone?

I'll have to get my file of receipts for my camera equipment if I'm hopping over the boarder. I always get hassled about buying stuff and not paying tariffs.

Most reactions

Back